Oregon Whitewater

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Jolie

Oregon Whitewater

Is there a place in Oregon to go White water rafting and be able to go on at least class III on a day trip??

Also what is the weather like on the Rogue the first in June as opposed to the Deschutes

Thanks

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 08:27 AM
ALF

You can take a very nice day trip on the Rogue out of Merlin. We have done this several time, renting oar rafts and hiring a livery service (http://www.wildrogue.com/sports.htm). We have never gone as early as June. The weather should be fine, but the water may be on the cold side.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Jolie

Alf,
What type of energy and skills is needed for the day trip? If I choose the two day one night trip, would people in their late 40's be able to handle it?

Thanks for answering

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:10 AM
ALF

I'm in my late 40s and have no problem doing this trip. It is no sweat for passengers, but whoever is rowing needs to know a little about how to ferry to avoid rocks. If you know how to row, this trip is a good one, with virtually no spots where you could get into big trouble.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 07:59 PM
sarah

The Deschutes also has day trips out of Maupin that are class III and IV, easy and fun for someone in their forties. There's a great spot near the end where you can leave the raft and shoot down feetfirst, through the rapids. (You'd have to ask it that's done in June, though.) Don't think the two day trips are adviseable on the Deschutes, as I've heard day two is through some impossible rapids. You could call outfitters in Maupin or check on the internet. I forget the name of who we used, but they were good. Questions you might ask: Do you have cool drinks on board in an ice chest that are available? What lunch do you serve and where? It varies. Some outfitters are better than others. The Deschutes trip is doable in a day while you stay in Portland, if that makes a difference. (The drive is about 2 hours.)