Oregon weather in mid-October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all those Oregonians out there, what's the weather like in mid October in these areas:

1. Portland.
2. Drive through the Columbia River Gorge.
3. Drive along the coast.
4. Bandon.
5. Drive to Crater Lake.

Some weather sites were saying rain beings a bit more heavily in October and that Crater Lake may actually start having snow??

Thanks.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:26 AM

Yes, that is about when our rains begin. Portland will most likely have the best weather of all the places. The Gorge and coast can get quite windy, coupled with the rain. Crater Lake might be snowed in already.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM

I found a brochure we got at Crater Lake when we were there a week ago. It talks about the park in winter and mentions that the Rim Drive is closed by snow from Mid-October til Mid-July. It says that vehicle access is available only from the OR 62 route to Rim Village. So you can see the Lodge, and look down, but just not drive all the way around.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM

I'll pile on. mms and I are almost neighbors in the Portland area, and local builders plan for rains to start in mid-October. Since they're west of the Cascades, that pretty much applies to all the areas you mention.

You should also note that if Crater Lake's rim road is closed, the route to Rim Village approaches from the south. So, if you're coming from Portland, it's a longer drive.

But it's not all bad news. ;-) I played at Bandon Dunes over three days in early November last year. In three rounds, I had the umbrella out for three holes. And I heard a caddy say during one of those rounds that it was the nicest day he'd seen on the course the whole year.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM

Coast- it really depends. It's likely to rain- but DON'T let that deter you. The beach is beautiful in any weather, and in October, you almost have it to yourself!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

Sounds like Crater Lake may be out.

But the rest may be ok. Will hope for the best.

Anything to know about the drive down the coast? Pretty safe? Anything to watch out for?
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 02:32 PM

Last October was our first here in Portland and the rain did start then and pretty much lasted til this June lol..
I have been to the Coast in Sept and it was already chilly, damp and foggy..
If you are staying in Portland, the Coast/Cannon Beach is only 90 minutes on the highway, you can do it in a day trip or continue South once you get there and stay at one of the many nice hotels along the way ( mms and beachbum are the ones I ask for info when it comes to that )