Oregon Questions

Sep 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Oregon Questions

We are planning a trip for the last 10 days of July 09. We were planning on visiting Portland/Columbia River Gorge/Silver Falls for 4 or 5 days then go to Crater Lake, Oregon Caves, Redwoods(CA), drive back up about half the coast of Oregon.

My concern is whether or not the waterfalls will be going good at the end of July. I don't want to go earlier because I am concerned that the roads to Crater Lake might not be open.
Sep 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Weather varies by year of course, but unless there is a drought next year, the falls should be doing fine in July. Spring is probably better because rains and melting snow usually add more water, but I doubt you'd be disappointed in July.

I haven't been to Crater Lake in a while but ten years ago, I went over Memorial Day weekend and the north entrance had just opened. You can still get in otherwise at another entrance. Check the official Crater Lake park website (google for it).

I just drove the Coast from Lincoln City south all the way down to the Redwoods last week. Even though I've seen it all (mostly) before - wow, I'm still blown away by the incredible beauty of it all! You can drive up the coast from California as far as you want, really - it's all terrific scenery up to about Newport, then there are highlights but they are more spread out as you go north from there.

By the way, don't be surprised if the weather on the coast in July isn't hot and sunny. It can be quite chilly in the summer. Could be sunny inland and foggy/cloudy on the coast. Last week I hit a fog bank as I drove south past Bandon, even though most of the rest of Oregon was pretty much all sunny and hot. Bring a sweatshirt for sure and if you get warmer weather, consider yourself lucky.
Sep 15th, 2008, 04:14 PM
mms

Your trip should be fine. The falls are better in the spring, but they run all the time and of course much depends on the snowfall amount during the winter. And honestly, unless you visit them frequently, you probably wouldn't notice a real difference. We just did a photo shoot at Silver Falls in early August and it was great.

You are smart to consider the roads for Crater Lake. That is a great place to visit.

Sep 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

I was just concerned that the waterfalls might be a trickle. There are some really nice (a lot shorter than that of Oregon) in Arkansas that we visit. Of course, there isn't much snow melt there. Usually by June they are all pretty much dry unless it rains a lot.

What about the Gardens in Portland. Japanese, Chinese, Rose Garden. See them all or is that to much? We were planning on spending the night at Timberline Lodge. Is there much to do there. We won't be doing any skiing there. What about hiking. Any must-hikes there?
Sep 15th, 2008, 05:31 PM

The Classical Chinese Garden is great but it's tiny - all of one (small) Portland city block. The Japanese Garden is much larger. I think many people do see all three, yes, but depending on your interests, I don't consider that essential. The Japanese Garden is adjacent to the International Rose Test Garden (aka "Rose Garden") so you can see the two together easily without moving your car. The Classical Chinese Garden is adjacent to downtown and easy to see if you are already staying down there. I do consider the Int. Rose Test Garden a must-see, though, at least in the summer when the roses are in bloom.

Let me throw in another Rose Garden (in case one wasn't enough): the Peninsula Rose Garden in North Portland is terrific - not huge but really awesome. Most tourists miss it but it's close to I-5 north of downtown.
Sep 16th, 2008, 05:51 AM
mms

Andrew gave you a great rundown on the gardens.

As for hiking at Timberline, yes! The Timberline Trail goes all the way around the mountain. Course that takes a couple days to do, but you can do parts of it and it really is stunning. The end of July is a good time for that actually.