Reload this Page >

Oregon in eight days

Search

Oregon in eight days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 08:40 PM
Jay

Oregon in eight days

We are planning an eight day trip in Oregon mid-August--flying into Portland and need to end up there late on the eighth day. Would like to see the Gorge, Ashland, Medford and possibly the coast. Need suggestions for places not to miss.

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 09:47 PM
debbie

a few other spots, down by Roseburg, is Wildlife safari.( on your way to Medford-Grants Pass ) on the coast, by Florence is the sea lion caves, up farther is Newport, this is home to Keiko, he does leave here in Sept., not sure on the date he leaves. Also stop in at Cannon Beach, and Seaside. Also Astoria. all along the coast is many sights. Once done in Astoria, this will take you back to Portland. the gorge will be great. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 09:07 AM
bob brown

If you have 8 days in Oregon, let me add a couple of places you might enjoy. In Portland, visit the rose gardens close to the zoo. The roses are world class. There is also a nice Japanese Garden in the same area.

Crater Lake was to mee very interesting and scenic.
The area around Bend and Sisters is pretty.
Then, for sharp contrast, drive to the southeast
side. It is a bone dry desert.

The whole drive along the coast from Brookings north is fabulous. I suggest driving it south to north because the sun is in your eyes a good bit of the time when going north to south.

And take time to explore the rocky headlands.
We spent the night at a motel in Yachats with the surf pounding the rocks just a few yards from the motel itself.

If you want to expand a bit, go up to Mt. St. Helens. It is not far from Portland, and the description is very well presented.

I think you will have a fun time of it.

Old Jul 20th, 1998, 01:16 PM
andrea

Be sure and hike to many of the waterfalls along the Gorge. Sun River Resort in Bend has everything you could possibly want. We had a blast there rafting the Des Chutes River. Don't miss Crater Lake! The Inn in Yachats (mentioned in previous post) is called the Adobe. Wonderful atmosphere. Be sure to explore the tidepools there. You will love this trip!
Andrea

Old Jul 23rd, 1998, 01:46 AM
Tawney

I have heard and read *lots* of negative things about the motel called the Adobe in Yachats. Strongly suggest you avoid that one (unless you want a nightmare to remember).
Far better accomidations in Yachats are available nearby at The Fireside Motel or even better the new Overleaf Lodge. 8 days is a short time to see Oregon, I suggest you don't go further south on the coast then Newport as you say you also want to see the gorge and Ashland.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 11:24 PM
Jay

Thank you for all the great information. We really appreciate this Forum and have not only gained a lot of information for our trips but been able to help otheres too. We have a wonderful trip planned to Oregon thanks to these suggestions--even were able to get tickets to the Ashland Shakespeare Festival.