Reload this Page >

Oregon Golf and Cars

Search

Oregon Golf and Cars

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 1999, 02:38 AM
Alan Hemson

Oregon Golf and Cars

We are a family of 4, 2 adults 2 kids (10 & 16 years old), we are visiting Oregon in August 1999 and would like some advice on the following:

CAR HIRE: Who's the best/cheapest hire Co. and what make/model should we go for. We'd like an American car, loads of comfort and extras with plenty of room.

GOLF: I'll be bringing my Golf clubs, we plan to stay at Sun River, which is the best course there and can you recommend any others in Oregon, maybe Portland area.

Many Thanks

Alan

Old Feb 22nd, 1999, 06:24 PM
bross

Oregon is one of my most favourite places to visit. I am from Canada and travel to Oregon on business and pleasure abount half a dozen times per year.
The Oregon coast is only about a one -to one and half hour easy easy drive from Portland. Go there if you can - not Portland, unless you are going on business.
If you want to hire a car think about a mini van, through Budget Rent a Car, Alamo Rent a car, Avis Hertz, . Mini vans can carry all your luggage, golf clubs, room for the teens who need there own space and can stretch out. What about renting a Recreation vehicle like a small mini motorhome (18') or a truck and camper.

If you travel down the Oregon coast there are wonderful camprgrounds "state parks" reasonably priced $10.00 to 12.00 US dollars and they have hot showers. Then you have the comforts of home in the great outdoors.Lots of reasonably price hotels and motels on the coast as well. The Ocean is absolutley gorgeous, a must see, I stare at it for hours and hours,. You can see seals playing in the surf and if you are luckly you might see the Whales starting there migration.
If you want to golf go to the Salishan lodge on the Oregon Coast about 2 hours from Portland - expensive though.
Not sure what sort of time limit you are on. You can take a few days or two weeks on the Oregon Coast. Look into renting bikes if you go.
Eating at the US restaurants is usually reasonable.

Lots of maps and things to see and do can be requested from the Portland Chamber of Commerce, as well as ask for Oregon Coast things to see and do.

Any other questions just ask?

Old Feb 23rd, 1999, 08:45 AM
John

I was in Sunriver last August. They were rebuilding the Meadows course and wasn't set to reopen until 1999. The Woodlands course was very good and well maintained. Friends of mine played the Crosswater course and loved it, but lost many balls. Crooked River Ranch is a beautiful course in terms of scenery, not very long so it's great if you are playing with your wife or kids. Widgi Creek was challenging and beautiful, but was difficult to find. We played it at twilight and got eaten alive by mosquitos. If you play anywhere at twilight, bring repellant. The last course we played was Rivers Edge. Beautiful, well maintained, but unfair. Good shots were often unfairly punished. Local knowledge is essential to score.
More information is available at oregongolf.com

Old Feb 23rd, 1999, 11:21 AM
Alan Hemson

Thanks Guys,

We will be visiting for 3 weeks. I've seen a few minivans on the car hire sites, is there one model you would recommend?

The Voyager looks good, what do you think?

Old Feb 23rd, 1999, 05:33 PM
rossb

Yes we owned a Voyaguer and now own a Ford Windstar. I prefer the Windstar, but I am sure either would be just fine. Especially if you are taking golf clubs, luggage and kids. You will be very comfortable in it and easy to drive.
Have fun.