Oregon for 7 days: Mount Hood or not?

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oregon for 7 days: Mount Hood or not?

Hello all,

My partner and I are headed to Oregon for 7 days in August and I'm stuck trying to decide whether to include the Mt. Hood / Columbia River Gorge area in our itinerary or not. Thus far the plan is that we'll be spending three nights based in Cannon Beach, to explore the northern Coast, then we have 2 nights unspoken for, followed by 2 nights in Portland to end the trip. I'm debating between giving the 2 nights in the middle to either the Yachats/Florence area OR Mount Hood. I'm leaning towards more time on the coast simply because we live quite near the Canadian Rockies (Jasper and Banff) and so I wonder whether Mount Hood will just be more mountains (albeit beautiful), whereas the coast is something we don't have locally and so would feel more unique, at least to us. Am I overlooking something truly amazing by choosing to skip Mount Hood? Is more time on the coast a good idea? In terms of our interests I think both would be great (we enjoy hiking, taking drives, quaint little towns etc) but I'm wondering what other people's thoughts are on this debate. All opinions are much appreciated
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:11 PM

My DD lives in Portland and in August the whole family often pack up and head for the coast to get away from the heat (yes it can get hot in the summer!) If you live near the Canadian Rockies personally I'd skip Mt. Hood and concentrate on the beach and I'd spend a few more days in Portland - it is a very exciting city with lots to do. Portland is home to some very exciting local restaurants.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
For context, I'm not much of a fan of Cannon Beach, and (again, personal opinion) for me three days there is one (or maybe two) too many. Too many "galleries" selling schlunk art and wooden seagulls for my tastes, but of course as in all things YMMV.

By comparison, the co-location of the Gorge, the Hood River Valley, and Mount Hood, is something not to be missed. Yes, it's close enough to Portland that you could visit all of the above in one longish day, and in a worst-case scenario you could add a day to the coast and one to Portland and include the Gorge/Hood loop in one day.

One of the striking things about the Gorge is the transformation in the landscape over a very, very short distance. In Cascade Locks and Hood River, you're definitely on the "wet" side of the Cascades. By The Dalles - around 25 miles from Hood River - you're in arid, near-desert country. (And a very interesting couple of hours can be spent at the Maryhill Museum - www.maryhillmuseum.org - for Rodin in the sagebrush and Stonehenge overlooking the great river.)

For me, I'd take one of the 3 days at Cannon Beach and run down to Yachats, enduring Lincoln City in the process, but then I'd travel to the Gorge via Cape Disappointment on the Washington side of the river - rocks, lighthouses, Lewis and Clark... - and the north shore back toward Portland - historic and picturesque. Then a couple of days around the Gorge and the Hood River Valley/Mount Hood, then Portland itself. Lots of variety, some very cute towns (Hood River) and good local beer, wine, booze, food and did I mention beer?
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Great suggestions gardyloo!

I didn't want to discourage them from the beach - but I'd also spend a little more time in the Portland area. It has so much to offer. There is also Sauvie Island in the Portland area which is a lot of fun - especially if you go to one of the working farms - you can pick your own organic fruit.

http://sauvieisland.org/
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM
ekc

I agree that the Gorge is not to be missed. I grew up on the Northern Oregon Coast (Gearhart) so I may be biased, but I see no need to go to Florence after spending 3 days at the beach.

I rented a cabin at Cape Disappointment and LOVED visiting the lighthouse there, so the suggestion to side-track there on the way to the Gorge is a good one.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Well, you come from some amazing scenery, but I still think Mt. Hoods is special.

I grew up in Oregon - and had seen most of the state before venturing to Mt. Hood. This including being able to see 14,000 foot Mt. Shasta from our rear porch in Southern Oregon - and having skied at Mt. Bachelor - but was still very impressed with Mt. Hood the first time I visited and also - Timberline Lodge - a classic Old World type place.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:23 PM

The Columbia River Gorge is one of the top scenic attractions in the entire country. I don't care where you live; if you've never been out here, a few hours out there at very least should be on your itinerary. From Portland, this is easy to do. You could add more time if you like to hike.

Mt. Hood itself? To be honest, its much prettier from afar than close-up. I remember when I first moved to Portland how excited I was to go up there - and when I finally did, I thought it was beautiful but somehow disappointing. But from a far, on a clear day, it still takes my breath away sometimes.

Some people do like to hike or ski (I don't ski), but it sounds like you'd have ample opportunity to do that at home on high snow peaks. Mt. Hood does have the historic Timberline Lodge near the top which is worth seeing - but I'm not sure it warrants a whole day. Actually, you can get up to Mt Hood in about an hour from Portland if you really want to take a quick look.

There's also not going to be much snow on Mt. Hood in August.

Nearby Mt. St. Helens and the aftermath of the famous 1980 eruption ought to intrigue the average tourist more than Mt. Hood. The visitor's center is really nice. That's probably not something you have at home.

I agree that three nights at Cannon Beach is a bit too many unless you are planning to chill and relax a lot Cannon Beach is nice town, very busy in August. There is stuff to do nearby. But three days worth? Not sure. Astoria is an interesting town not far from Cannon Beach. There is other stuff just to the south that's worth checking out - hiking, etc. But I highly recommend going south past Lincoln City for a night or two, perhaps to Yachats as you suggest. (Stop in Newport, see the Yaquina Head Light House and natural area just north of it.)

If you like waterfalls, you'll find some in the Columbia River Gorge but you'll find more down at Silver Creek Falls Park near Salem (maybe 2hrs from Portland), a very pretty park that's another highlight of Oregon. (There are many.)

Yes, Portland itself is a nice city - beautiful rose gardens, some unique bridges, lots of nice old neighborhoods with beautiful houses, etc. You could get the highlights in a long afternoon if you really want to breeze through them. If you have any interest in books, Powell's Books (an entire city block) is not to be missed, at least for a brief visit. Voodoo Donuts is highly overrated.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 05:01 AM

If you go to the Hood River area, be sure and take the
"Fruit Loop" and stop at the different orchards to sample their fresh produce and other goodies. It is a lot of fun. Also the Timberline Lodge on the south side of Mt. Hood is really something to see.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 08:29 AM

First off, I'm biased as I work for a local tourism agency that covers Mt. Hood. Summer is very underrated in the Mt Hood area as there are many activity options available, including summer skiing and snowboarding at Timberline Lodge. If you do not ski, you can still take the magic mile chairlift to the 8,500' level for spectacular view and photography. Then either take the chair lift or walk back down to the lodge for an amazing lunch featuring locally sourced items.

Across the road at SkiBowl adventure park, you can try the alpine slide, rent mountain bikes, zip line and more. There are also over 80 trails to hike or bike, several rivers for fishing, rafting or kayaking. Excellent golf courses, spas and other ways to enjoy your time.

Oh, and do not miss Joe's Doughnuts.

As for the Gorge area, it is breathtaking. Be sure to stop by the Portland Women's Forum viewpoint, overlooking the iconic Vista House. As you continue down old highway 30, there are a series of waterfalls to hike up and around, including Multnomah Falls, the second highest in the US after Niagra.

Continuing on, the Columbia Gorge Hotel is a great place for a drink or a nights stay. Be sure to get a room that overlooks the waterfall into the Columbia river off the back. Hood River also has great brewpubs (Full Sail) and fun wine tasting rooms (Naked Winery comes to mind.) Then finish the time off with gathering fresh lavender, Bing cherries or other offerings of the Fruit Loop.

If you need more information, or want to ask your own questions, stop by our Mt. Hood Territory Facebook page. Also, our friends at Travel Oregon and Oregon Coast have pages too.

No matter what your final plans are, I hope you and your partner have a great time in Oregon. There are so many great places to see and never enough time to see them all.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 11:37 AM

OP: "Mount Hood" really isn't the most significant element of what you're asking.

The Columbia Gorge is so unique, and given where you live, you might gain a great overview by looking at the website at http://glaciallakemissoula.org/ for important context. Western Oregon may even make a lot more sense to you after studying that website and tangent topics.

Mount Hood is fine and dandy, as mountains go, but in the same way that my last trip through the Canadian Rockies was made less spectacular by my having just driven from Alaska, I don't think Mount Hood alone will thrill you too much, given your home location.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 12:39 PM

I would say skip Mt Hood but don't miss the Gorge- it is pretty amazing.
There are some nice hikes in the Gorge area - with lots of waterfall trails.
The gorge is world famous for wind surfing- fun to watch even if you don't do it yourself.

There is a nice winery you could check out- Maryhill- they have an outdoor theatre with live music in the summer. I can't advise on the quality of their wine but it is a nice place to stop.

On the coast my favorite hike starts at Heceta Head State Park ( also called Devils Elbow) There is a nice cove/beach with trail up to the lighthouse with great views. The trail continues from behind the lighthouse to a secluded beach. The lighthouse keepers house is a B&B and is a nice place to stay and offers an amazing breakfast- you have to reserve way in advance though.

Enjoy
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you for all the wonderful and insightful replies! I clearly have some homework to do since it sounds like I shouldn't miss the gorge, and that 3 nights in Cannon Beach might be too much.
;
My partner is hugely into books so we've earmarked a good chunk of time for Powell's. While we only have 2 nights in Portland, our flight home isn't until evening on the last day so we'll get more like 2.5 days, which is great.

I only wish we had more time for this trip! Oregon sounds so spectacular and I really can't wait to see it
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 09:25 PM

A nice hike to do in the Gorge area is Eagle Creek- a nice waterfall hike.

Oregon is a very diverse state- even many of the people who live here have no clue as to what is out there.

John Day area and fossil beds with an amazing paleontology center, the Wallowa's, central Oregon has an amazing array of scenery and activities ( although more similar to your area)
the area along the Umqua from Roseburg to Crater Lake- yes you need more time but maybe you will come back.

I grew up in Saskatchewan and I feel so fortunate I found my way to Oregon
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 09:39 PM

This may not interest you but posting in case it does- concert schedule at Maryhill winery in the Gorge- they usually have more concerts than this so maybe not all posted yet?

http://www.maryhillwinery.com/amphit...hedule/2013-07
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 03:32 AM

Maryhill is a beautiful place - first visited in when on the way to see my Uncle in Yakima in the early 50's. Special story there about the wealthy railroad? man building a mansion to bring over his sweetheart from Europe?

And if nothing else - suggest you do drive out along the Gorge, then down to Mt. hood - and have lunch and/or a beer at the great second floor pub at Timberline lodge - while looking up the glacier from the big picture window.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 03:36 AM

Also - a couple of hours? south of Cannon Beach - is a very nice/reasonably priced overlooking Depoe Bay - where you can see whales. Check out the Surfrider Resort- just south of Lincoln City.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 05:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Another fun location near the Gorge for music and the arts is McMenamin's Edgefield, a former county poor farm converted into a unique resort complex with umpteen cafes and bars, a brewery, winery, distillery, vineyards, gardens, golf, a movie theater, spa, affordable rooms... Quite the place, and ten minutes from the western edge of the Gorge as well as ten minutes from PDX airport. http://www.mcmenamins.com/54-edgefield-home

Just to keep piling on, here are a couple of photos of the area; admittedly taken in the spring and not high summer, but enough to get the drift...

The Gorge and Vista House from the Portland Women's Forum viewpoint - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_5a.JPG

Mount Hood from the Hood River Valley - http://gardyloo.us/20100509_85a.JPG

Mount Hood from the U of O medical school in central Portland - http://gardyloo.us/20100510_21b.JPG
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 12:36 PM

I'm going to say 2 nights cannon beach, 1 night Newport, 2 nights Florence and 3 nights Portland with a day trip through the gorge to Hood River and back. The Oregon coast is amazing. We've lived here 8 hears and Ecola park in Cannon beach, as well as the drive South between there and Florence with the sand dunes is beautiful. You can take I5 S and head N from Florence on the coast to end closer to Portland, or go to Cannon Beach from Portland and circle back at the end on the quicker I5. Cannon Beach has shopping and galleries, Newport has the fishing boats, fresh crab (Local ocean) and a cute downtown, as well as orig Rogue Brewery, Aquarium, etc. Florence is another cute town and the dunes nearby are pretty cool. Enjoy!

Maryhill is nice but not worth the trip with the time you have and everything else. If you really like wine, add a day trip between the coast and Portland to the Dundee/McMinnville area and visit fabulous wineries.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 06:55 AM

Bookmarking for Wash/Ore adventure
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 08:24 AM

Don't miss Yahats. Stayed at the Fireside Motel. Reasonable and on the ocean! Fantastic view. Niec restaurants locally.
Peaceful town. Enough to see and do for a couple of day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -