Reload this Page >

Oregon family reunion

Search

Oregon family reunion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 08:42 PM
vic

Oregon family reunion

There are 24 of us, all ages, 1 to 86, would like a spot where we could use a gathering room in an inn and not have to cook. July or Augusta, for a long week-end. Any ideas? None of us lives in Oregon so we don't know places. Doesn't have to be the coast, but we need activities. We'd need about 10 rooms, plus the gathering room, and don't want to drive other guests crazy with our noise and commotion, although we are nice people and well-behaved! Thanks for help.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 09:14 PM
John

Consider McMenamin's Edgefield or one of the other unique McMenamin's establishments, see www.mcmenamins.com

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 01:18 AM
xxx

I'd have to second the vote for Edgefield. A fun place and close to the Gorge.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 01:38 PM
lcuy

I'd vote edgefield too. It was the poor house back in the early 1900s. Now it has is a hotel, hostel, golf course, theatre, and art shops. Very affordable, very fun for different tastes. my niece is having a wedding there next summer, and we're really happy with the variety of lodgings and entertainment.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Chris

I'd vote for Edgefield too. Also nice: Timberline Lodge, Grand Lodge in Forest Grove, or Salishan north of Newport.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 10:53 PM
VIC

Many thanks for your suggestions, as I had not heard of any of these. This site is a wonderful place, isn't it? Strangers helping one another.
Thanks again,
Vic

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 06:47 AM
The Comptons

Just working on a 2002 family reunion where a number of the people live in Oregon--we're in Texas. Portland offers many possibilities for activities. A number of motels or hotels can work out plans for you. We've also held a reunion in Gualala, CA, and it offers short-term rental houses. Our 2002 reunion will be in Reno (a day's drive for the Oregonians). Lots of activities in the area.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 11:49 AM
kat

Great suggestions from the other posts. If you want to get away from the city, you might even look at Sunriver in Bend Oregon. It is a distance from Portland but very relaxing. You can rent hotel rooms or vacation homes.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 10:01 PM
vic

Sunriver it is. Visited this past weekend and loved it. Beautiful place, has a gathering room for our exclusive use(very hard to find in other resorts) and a hundred and one activities. Highly recommended (in advance, that is!) for family reunions. Very expensive and I'm hoping it's worth it.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 05:00 PM
Shana

Sunriver is wonderful. I have just done extensive research for winter break and can email you my list of companies that handle rentals there. Sometimes you can shop around for rates, as different companies manage different units. Also, if you haven't already reserved, you might look at Black Butte. I don't know as much about it, other than that people who go there swear by it. It has more organized activities than Sunriver, and is more in the mountains. We have driven into it and it is indeed beautiful.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:19 PM
vic

Shana, thanks for confirmation of Sunriver as a good destination. We like Black Butte, too, but do not want condos as we do not want to cook on vacation, and they did not have a gathering room-type space large enough to accommodate all of us. So we will go with Sunriver. If you hear commotion above fireworks on July 4th, it'll be my family....

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 04:02 PM
sara

Sunriver is wonderful, we go at least 2 times a year. There is so much to do. I am sure you have done your research well but close by is Newberry Crater and the High Desert Museum. These could be done on the same day. There is also the Paulina Plunge. An organized bike tour. They take you in buses to the top of Paulina (butte?) and then you ride their bikes down, stopping along the way to play in the creek, with waterfalls and even a natural water slide. This is lots of fun - take your own helmets if possible. This is mostly downhill and fairly good path so even less physically active people could do it, kids would love it. It leaves from Sunriver.

I know you don't want to cook on vacation but eating out is expensive, if money is tight for any of the families, there are small condos with kitchenettes and houses with full kitchens. This just makes things easier even if all you ever eat is breakfast and lunch. That is one reason we can go - not eating out makes the vacation much cheaper. There are not very many places to eat in Sunriver but Bend isn't very far.

You have chosen well, have a great reunion!