Notices

Oregon Coast: Cliff House or Seaquest?

Old May 19th, 1997, 06:39 PM
Charles Calhoun

Oregon Coast: Cliff House or Seaquest?

Cliff House doesn't seem to get as good reviews as Seaquest. One source has heard complaints about "cleanliness and service." Which is a better bet?

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 06:14 AM
jp

I don't know about either one of those places, but there is a place in Newport that I love. The Driftwood is high on a cliff just north of Newport. It is a wonderful place. Newport is a fun place too, with the Rogue brewery and other stuff.

Old Jun 4th, 1997, 04:20 PM
BT

I have a very strong reaction to this post. I say with great forcefulness...forget about Sea Quest! Yes, it has a very nice location outside of Yachats (a great area by the way...we've stayed at 8 different B&B's or motels or houses there now). But the draw back, and it's a big one, is the owner/hosts. We've stayed in several hundred B&B's in the US by now and these owners were by far the rudest, most sullen, most unhelpful hosts we have ever encountered anywhere. And I've written to guide books about our bad experience one weekend there and told many other B&B hosts and fellow travellers about it. Very very unpleasant experience....and at over $120 a night. A far better bet in that area is Oregon House just down the road.

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 09:55 PM
Jackie

My husband and I stayed at Seaquest last year and were somewhat disappointed. We also found the owners/hosts to be distant - they seemed disinterested in running a B&B. The location was beautiful and the room comfortable, however it did not seem worth its price. If you are considering a stop near Cannon Beach, I would highly recommend the Stephanie Inn - the rooms and location are beautiful and the service is fantastic!

Old Jul 20th, 1997, 01:13 AM
Bill

The Cliff House has a marvelous location in Waldport with a very nice outdoor hot tub and views to die for. Pleasant female owner.

Sea Quest is a place I was disappointed in. As the previous posters said the owners are abrupt and frowning all the time. They have a paid cook who was a nice lady but that did not make up for the hostile feelings cast off by the owners. Another guest asked the female owner in front of us if the male owner was unhappy about something as he was scowling all the time and the woman said "Oh, that's his usual face".

Old Jul 24th, 1997, 07:27 PM
Jack

A much better place is the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Gail Wyett

Sea Quest Bed and Breakfast is the GREATEST and is ON the BEACH the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:00 PM
Pauline

Let me weigh in here myself on this issue as I see there is some discussion.
My husband and I really disliked our stay last year+ at the Seaquest bed and breakfast. Usually I don't even recall the places we stayed at for very long, but I recall the Seaquest because of how *bad* it was. I suspect that the above poster is perhaps the bed and breakfast owner who heard about this Fodor's discussion and is just trying to turn it around.

When we were at the Seaquest we ran into another couple we had seen there later at the Newport Aquarium and they told us how unhappy they had been too with their stay at the Seaquest and how they cut it short because of the sternness of the owners. Who wants to go on vacation and have to spend money and time staying with people who are hostile to guests such as the owners of the Seaquest are?