Reload this Page >

Orcas - Resort at Deer Harbor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:28 PM
Denise

My husband & I are going to Orcas Island for a romatic getaway vacation. We tried to find the most romantic spot - found the Resort at Deer Harbor - cottage w/ fireplace, hottub on deck etc. Sounds great & luxurious - want to know if anyone has ever stayed there...Thought about Rosario - but, we usually do the "resort" type vacations & wanted this to be different. My husband has never been to the Pacific Northwest and I wanted him to get a real taste of the area.

Also, we will be coming from Texas & arriving in Seattle Sat. evening. Should we plan on staying in Anacortes that evening or are there ferries that leave late in the evening? Suggestions???

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 03:11 PM
sheri

Hi Denise, the Resort at Deer Harbor has been around for ages, but it was fixed up about two years ago, and they added the new cottages. They're quite nice, although a bit close to the road (which quiets down quite a bit at night, however). Since I was there last year, the resort management was taken over by the same company that manages the Inn at Langley and the Friday Harbor House...which I think means changes for the better in terms of service, amenities, etc. It also has a new restaurant, Starfish Grill, that I've been hearing good things about. For a romantic getaway, it's much better than Rosario, IMO (I'm not a fan...great location, but high prices, only ok facilities, indifferent service. It's a shame, because it *could* be such a cool place.). I personally prefer B&Bs, but if you're not into them, then Deer Harbor should fit the bill.

Depending on how late you're getting in, I'd stay in Seattle that night, then go up to Orcas the next day. If your flight arrives before 5 PM or so, then you could try to make the 9:15 ferry (there's also one at 11:15 PM on Saturday nights)--this is assuming you're coming before the schedule changes on 9/23. I'm not sure why you'd want to stay in Anacortes when you could have a good dinner in Seattle and stay somewhere nice.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 03:29 PM
Mel

Denise, I don't know where Sheri crawled out from under but take her comments with a grain of ???????
The area you are going to is the most beautiful country. Sure, it's not like Seattle or San Fran or anything like and thank gawd it's not. It is peaceful and calm and relaxing in the San Juan Islands. Anacortes has some terrific places to eat. One place I highly reccommend for breakfast in Calico Cupboard. Excellent food. As for the prices the Sheri refered to.....I've been to both places (San Juans and Seattle) and found that the prices are cheaper as you head north and out of the big city but, as with any place that caters to the tourists, you will pay just a tad more in certain areas. But, if you ask around at the resort you can find ways around that. We asked and had someone suggest this neat little mom and pop place (forgive me I forget tha name) that was absolutly delish....and the owners came out and sat with us afterwards and we all had homemade pie and coffee and talked for hours. They led us to places on the island that were terrific. You will have a great time. Do a search for web sites on the San Juan Islands. I think Anacortes has a web site too. Have fun cause you will love it

And Sheri, I hope your not a travel agent cause you couldn't be more off base on your post.

Have a great time Denise. Be prepared to see a lot of Eagles

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 06:29 PM
sheri

Hmm...not sure what sparked that diatribe, but all I was saying was that, *in my opinion*, Rosario is high priced for what you get and there are better places to stay on Orcas for a romantic getaway. I've stayed at many of the lodgings on Orcas over the course of living in Seattle for 13 plus years and feel I have a good handle on the places there. I love Orcas and go there often...I'm not sure where you got the impression I didn't like it.

Calico Cupboard *is* a great place for breakfast--I agree (awesome cinnamon rolls)! But I honestly don't think that on the whole, there is the same caliber of restaurants and lodgings in Anacortes that there is in Seattle or on Orcas. That's why I recommended one night here before heading to the San Juans. I may have misinterpreted Denise's post but I got the impression that she prefers more upscale places, and not B&Bs (there are several good ones in Anacortes, but no real four-star lodging places, IMO). If she can't make the late ferry to Orcas, then a chance to stay in the city and try one of Seattle's top restaurants, like Wild Ginger or Dahlia Lounge, seems to *me* like it would be a fantastic way to start a romantic weekend.

But that's just *my* opinion. Since I was really just voicing my opinions, I'm not sure how I could be off-base (my opinions are just that), but thanks, Mel, for let me know that you disagree ;-).

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 05:45 AM
elaine

Denise,

My husband and I spent a week on Orcas Island Aug. '98. I do not have personal knowledge of Resort at Deer Harbor (we stayed at Turtleback Farm Inn). Our flight from the east coast had a late afternoon arrival in Seattle. After speaking with our innkeeper, he suggested we spend our first and last night in Seattle. We rented a car and drove to Antacortes early morning. Took our car on the ferry. All went fine, but you need an updated ferry schedule.
Our return from Orcas to Antacortes was a mid-day ferry. We spent our last night in Seattle and thought this was good advice, as the drive from Antacortes to Seattle, after dark, was mentioned as not a great idea. Hope any of this is helpful.
We did take a boat ride which departed from Rosario. In '98, this was very economical.
The San Juan Islands is a wonderful destination.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Kiel

First off, I live and have lived on Fidalgo Island all my life. Second, Sheri you are a prude aren't you? Too say "I thought she wanted something more upscale" and that means that only Seattle folks have upscale places? You will find pelnty of "upscale places" in the San Juan Islands and the majority of them are more personable than the places you'll find in and around Seattle. And Denise, if you want stress than I suggest you stay in Seattle. Their traffic is horrible. One day driving around downtown or the surrounding areas will have you wishing you could tap your heels to quickly get you home.
Denise, the islands are the most beautiful place to come relax and un-wind. The stress will melt from your body. And, about the ferries, you can now make reservations through the Washington state Ferry web site. (perhaps someone knows the proper link as I do not)
Sheri, you sound as if you are a snob. You belong in Seattle.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 03:32 PM
sheri

Oh dear, that's not what I meant at all. I was NOT suggesting that she stay in Seattle for the entire time, just for the first night if she arrives late. I re-read my posts and I really don't see where you got the idea I was suggesting that she not go to the San Juans at all, or that there were not upscale places in the San Juans. But, whatever! Kiel, I'd love to hear your suggestions for some great places to stay and eat in Anacortes. I've stayed at the Channel House B&B, which I thought was lovely, and have eaten at the restaurant at the Majestic Hotel, which was good but not great, IMO. And of course the previously mentioned Calico Cupboard for breakfast.

I *must* point out, however, that the only reservations that are being taken at this time on the Washington State ferries are for travel to or from Sidney BC. It says all over the website "Reservations are made for International Travel only" and I just confirmed that by calling the Washington State ferry information line and speaking to one of their staff (that has been the policy for years; I just wanted to make sure they hadn't changed it!).

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 04:10 PM
nonamecalling

Denise,

Are you still there?

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Denise

I am still here - I appreciate the insight from all of you. Thanks for taking the time to respond. We are really looking forward to our trip. One more question if I may - what type of weather should we expect in Sept? I know to expect rain/drizzle - but what temp in day and evening?

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:20 PM
gofigure

Yikes, did Kiel and Mel take their cranky pills this morning?