Options for commuting from Newark, NJ to Manhattan everyday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 07:17 AM
mun

Hello.
I am relocating to the NY/NJ area and would like to know what the easiest and most economical options are for commuting via bus and/or train from Newark, NJ to Manhattan. I am already aware of the PATH and NJ transit trains but not sure of other options. Thanks for the advice.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Dan

You pretty much covered it, with the addition of a bus (really unreliable) or driving (huge hassle). Keep in mind, with the recent tragedy, the PATH trains will not take you directly downtown. You'd have to connect with a NYC subway once in Manhattan to get downtown. Good Luck!

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 11:45 AM
lisa

You might also check into the NY Waterway ferries that take you from NJ to downtown New York. Not sure which cities they leave from in NJ, though.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 01:28 PM
njgirl

The NY Waterways leaves from Hoboken, you can type it into your search engine and get all of the schedules.There are private bus companies, they are not too expensive, of course I cannot think of any names right now but it can't be too hard to get some names.What area?, there are express buses from our town, right along the Hudson,north of the GWB.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 10:37 PM
ALF

My mother lives in Fort Lee, and I have stayed at her house, then commuted into downtown Manhattan via the passenger-only Fort Lee ferry. This is a very pleasant and scenic ride, and seems to me a decent way to commute into Manhattan, provided you could make a good connection to wherever you work in NYC.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Sheril

Hi there, Just wanted to elaborate on your ferry options. NY Waterways has expanded service since the Exchange Place-World Trade Center run in down for the indefinite future. Here at Exchange Place in Jersey City, you can catch a boat to 38th Street or Pier 11/Wall Street. I believe one way fare is $ 2.50. Try their web site, or call for most updated info. I see more and more ferries travelling the Hudson every day.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Mun

Hi!
Thanks for the responses so far. To be more specific, I am thinking of living in Newark and commuting to downtown Manhattan. Are there any particular commuter buses perhaps that travel this route?

Secondly, any suggestions for nice cities to live in that are not as expensive, safe, close to Manhattan, and that are very convenient--i.e. grocery store, gas station, in close vicinity. I went to Newark this past weekend and didn't find it to be a very convenient area. Please advise.

Thanks again!

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 06:35 AM
njgirl

What about some nice neighborhood in Brooklyn? We have friends who decided to move out of an apt in Tribeca when the rents went up too high, they found a nice street in Brooklyn, near a school,large apt..lower rents than Manhattan..better transportation to Manhattan than NJ...just a thought, because I live in NJ now and only know what NY friends tell me Good luck~

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Merilee

Mun...if you don't mind my asking...why Newark? Anyway, commuter friendly towns in New Jersey...Ridgefield has a couple of affordable apartment complexes as do Bergenfield and New Milford...the Riverdale and Throggs Neck sections of the Bronx are nice also.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 08:11 AM
x

Didn't this post have a few wisecracks in it yesterday? Where did they go, to Stepford??

Anyway mun, no worries. It's simple. Just depends where you start out. If you live in a NJ suburb you'll probably take a bus; Newark the PATH or NJ Transit; if it's Long Island the LIRR and the subway for the 5 boroughs. (Staten Island has no subway, that one will be Staten Island Ferry to the subway.)

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:07 PM
mun

Hello again.

Is Hoboken a more centrally located area than Newark? For example, is there a grocery store, bank, post office, etc. within walking distance to most apartments? Also, I imagine that you still take the PATH or NJ Transit into Manhattan, correct?

Somebody mentioned living in Brooklyn. What parts are nice, safe areas? And also, how far is it generally from Manhattan?

Thanks again for all the help and good advice.
Mun

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 04:27 PM
njgirl

Hoboken is where the Path train station is-it is still a nice old neighborhood, hundreds of restaurants,cafes,markets,people that have lived there forever and new ones coming in every day.There is a school there,so there are plenty of young people..and the old timers who still live there.New places are being built,and they have renovated a lot of the older buildings,I just don't know how the rents are due to all the gentrification...but look into it, it is a good idea for commuting.Brooklyn, I have only heard about, I personally don't know much, but there have to be people on this site that know where good neighborhoods are in Brooklyn...good luck!