Reload this Page >

Opinions on Marriott's Ihilani Resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 12:10 PM
bobcat

We are thinking of staying at the JW Marriott Ihilani resort on Oahu this fall.
Would appreciate your opinions on this property. Will probably rent a car since the Ihilani seems pretty remote. We have stayed on Waikiki beach before and enjoyed the action, but are looking for a different setting this time. Thanks.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 05:37 PM
Chris

Marriott purchased it a couple years ago. Opened in early 90's I believe. Goal of original owners was to create a 5 star place accessible to Waikiki but far enough for privacy. They didn't succeed because, I'd guess, most people interested in staying on Oahu like the Waikiki scene, otherwise they move on to the other quieter islands. Marriott probably purchased the place at a much reduced rate hoping their loyal client base could keep the place in business. I expect there's quite a bit of convention activity. The place is reasonably well rated, but not in the same league as the better places on Maui and the Big island.
If you got a good rate, go for it. And if you stay there, let us know what the current status is.
Mahalo.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 09:53 PM
Nancy

We stayed there a couple years ago for the same reason you did. The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms are large and well furnished. The only problem we found is that the restaurants were lacking, so we ended up driving to town for dining. Traffic can be pretty horrendous during rush hour; even outside of rush hour it's a long drive just to go to dinner. If it was more self-contained it would be a great spot.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Kate

This is all hear say but a dear friend who lives on the island knows a lot of people from Oahu who go to the resort for a respite. The only complaint I hear is of the isolation. Like the previous poster states if you want diversity in the food. You are stuck. Having said that the grounds are gorgeous!!! Are you really looking to spend all of your time at a resort anyway???

You know by law they must let the public have access to the beach so you can always use the beach if you select another hotel. I would consider the Kahala Mandarin. Traffic is not so bad lived there IF you avoid rush hour.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Mary Lynn

My husband and I stayed at the Ihilani Resort a couple of years ago. Beautiful resort..fabulous rooms. I would definately recommend this property. The restaurants are quite pricey but if you can afford this hotel you can certainly afford to eat here. The beach is lovely.I would certainly stay here again.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:47 PM
bobcat

Thanks to you all for your insights.
Bob

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:30 PM
DeeDee

The guest rooms are beautiful. The Spa is nice. Did not like the 'fake' (man-made) beach. Also, some guests room have a view of what looks like a Industrila plant of some kind.
My favorite resort on Oahu is the Kahala Mandarin Oriental.