Reload this Page >

advice on driving through the dessert

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Vicki

We are getting ready to take a trip out West this week. We will be going through Kingmon to Las Vegas and then to LA. Should we be concerned about driving through the dessert during the hot day time hours? Any precautions we should take?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:38 AM
vicki

woops...I'm really not driving through the dessert...although that would be yummy. I'm driving through the desert. Sorry.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:56 AM
al

If you begin to lose control while driving through the chocolate pudding, steer in the direction of the skid!

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Bob Brown

Darn. I was getting ready for a Black Forest sundae of memorable size!! I had a big spoon ready to go.

I have done that Kingman route, in July.
Short of making sure that all fluid levels in my car were up to the right level and having plenty of water for the passengers, I don't know what else I would do.
As my dad used to say, check the levels, tighten the radiator cap, and take a good swig of cold water.
The humidity is very low, 10% or less, so moisture can leave the body without your knowing it.

You might not be able to convince your family, but cokes and the like contain caffeine, which is a diuretic -- that is, it takes water out of the system.
Alcohol will, too.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:04 PM
sluggo

We drove from Kingman to LV early in May with a rental car with A/C. It was around 98F. It was our first time in desert country. Would set out with plenty of drinking water and sip often (you get dehydrated faster) and I'd make sure the car was in good repair, with a full tank of gas and a full radiator.

If you have time in Kingman, check out the museum in the Powerhouse Visitors Center, which takes a look at the history of Rt. 66, and the local museum, which has interesting information about the history of the area and a room dedicated to native son Andy Devine.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:04 PM
Vicki

Allrighty, maybe I deserved that comment, but I still don't have an answer to my question.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:06 PM
vicki

Thanks for your advice!! I'll send you some homemade cookies.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:07 PM
kam

Wear loose clothes for all the extra calories you'll load up on! Seriously, try not to do it at the middle of the day, be sure your car is in excellent condition, take water for the car and for all the people in it, have hats ready. I think it's a bit frightening to drive this time of year---do you know what 120 degrees feels like? And at that temp, don't fall for the "dry heat" explanation. Good luck and be safe.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Al Godon

Well I'll be. Don't have an answer?
What the (**&*& do you expect people to tell you?? You don't do anything except use common sense!
Like drive at night or something?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Linda

I posted this before, but somehow it got lost.

If you leave early in the a.m. you shouldn't have any problems. Kingman to LV is less than 2 hours and you should be in LV before it gets really hot. LV to LA is 5 hours, but you should be out of the really hot desert before noon.

Precautions? Check your coolant levels. Carry plenty of water, both for your car and yourself. If you do start to overheat, open the windows and turn on the car's heater. (You need to do this BEFORE the car actually overheats, not when it is steaming and has seized up.) I know, sounds daft, but it works because the heater bleeds heat from the engine and cools it down. Terribly uncomfortable for the occupants, but it can save your life. Then, as soon as you can find a place to do it, stop and get the car checked out. If you do need to stop in the desert because the car overheated, wait for the radiator to cool down before you open the cap--if you don't you can get a nasty burn.

And, drink PLENTY of water; as someone else said, you don't realize you are perspiring when the humidity is 10% or less. And the desert wind can be AWFULLY drying.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:17 PM
SoupySales

Look out for the Blizzards right after the turn at the Dairy Queen!!!!

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Dessert

Drive with your tongue sticking out so you can get all the whipped cream.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Pete

Most modern cars have decent AC systems, which will keep you cool under almost all conditions. Just make sure you have changed your antifreeze at least as often as recommended by the car manufacturer, and that all hoses are in tip-tip shape. We have used some of these fabric sunscreens with suction cups to stick on the sunny side windows, and also you can buy static cling tinted film at Wal-Mart that does the same thing - cut down on the sun's heat. They provide localized relief. If you stop, look for shade! 115 degree heat is too hot, even if there is no humidity, so get an early start.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 02:26 PM
Larry

Vicky, don't know if you are driving your car or a rental. Rentals are actually maintained very well and should be no problem. Do check fluid levels and believe and signs that say something like "Next Service XXX miles". If it's your car, would not be a bad idea to have radiator flushed and new coolant if it has not been done within 3-4 years. Carry extra water for people & car. Take cassettes/CDs as stations can be far & few. Those shades for windows that you can see thru are useful.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Lynn

No one has mentioned a cell phone. All the precautions others have told you are excellent, so I'm offering the "what if?" or "worst case scenario." Maybe it goes without saying, and you've already thought of it, but my husband and I have a little more peace of mind during our many cross country trips (including the desert) when we've got our cell phone with us.