Reload this Page >

Opinions on following hotels ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 12:09 PM
passenger

First of all, thanks a lot to everybody who responded to my previous question ("Which area of NYC to stay in") ! So now we narrowed it down to these hotels : Edison Hotel, Malibu, Penn Plaza, Portland Square, Washington Square or Seton. Any opinions/experiences are very welcome !!! Thnx !

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 01:40 PM
xxx

Thanks for putting the city/state in your title!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 03:26 PM
Caitlin

Doesn't look like you've narrowed your chice of *where* to stay, as these hotels cover a variety of areas. More important, have you done any research on these hotels? Searched for past posts on this forum? Read the Rants & Raves section of this site? Reason I ask is, you've got some questionable choices here. Never heard of the Seton, so I can't comment. The Edison gets pretty consistently good marks on this forum. The Washington Square gets pretty good reviews, but has small rooms. It also books up fast, and I think you have to particularly want to be in the Village (your other choices are all in midtown or the Upper West Side, so I don't know if staying in the Village is what you want). The Penn Plaza gets mixed reviews on this site, erring on the negative. Read the Rants & Raves on the Portland Square--uniformly very, very low numbers. Malibu Studios is fine in terms of cleanliness, safety, and its location near Columbia and handy to a subway stop--but it's a rock-bottom budget place; I mean, they don't supply towels, much less soap, and no telephones or TVs, if you care about that. I have a friend who often stays there for budgetary reasons, and the first thing he does when he gets to town is stop by my apartment and borrow a towel and washcloth for the duration of his stay. Given your apparent budget and the kind of places you're looking at, I'd add the Murray Hill Inn and Carlton Arms to your list, provided you don't mind walk-ups. They're in the Gramercy-Murray Hill area, which is very safe, convenient, and has plenty of amenities (drug and grocery stores, inexpensive-moderate restaurants, etc.). Both have web sites, and I've had friends and family stay at both and find them perfectly adequate.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:18 PM
xyxyxyxyxy

xxx([email protected])

Are you the hall monitor for everyone putting the correct information in their title? Needless to say, you annoy me. Go ahead, criticize, it's what you do best.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 06:27 PM
Paige

My daughter has stayed at the Edison a couple of times through group trips and is very safe and clean and extremely convenient to the theatres. She also "lost" an item of great sentimental value to her and the housekeeping staff went to great lengths to find it and return it to her all safe and sound - they really went above and beyond what was required. It impressed me because you don't often see this sort of service many places, especially given the reputation of indifference in NYC.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 09:10 PM
abc

Actually, if you look at the Rants and Raves, the Washington Square DOES NOT get good reviews. It's in a very great neighborhood but the hotel has tiny rooms and staff is quite indifferent.

But aside from that, you really should specify an area where you want to stay. Maybe start a new post limiting the area. Or ask which area you should stay in depending on what your plans are.