Reload this Page >

Opinions on Coronado Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:50 PM
Sheila

My family and I are going to San Diego in July. We are staying at the Marriott on Coronado Island. Can anyone compare this to a beach vacation in Florida, maybe Destin or Clearwater? We have been to Florida many times but this will be our first trip to California. I am hoping my family will enjoy it as much. If anyone can give me any comparisons I would appreciate it!
Thanks

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:00 PM
xxx

Coronado Island is a lot better in my opinion. I prefer the weather and so much to do in the general area. Your family will love the vacation!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:31 PM
hmb

Hi Shelia,

I stayed at the Marriott on Coronado Island last summer. Be prepared to pay approx. $12 per day to park in the parking garage at the hotel.

Although I cannot compare to Florida, the beach around the Del is very nice. The ocean water was very cold in August so we spent most of the day around the hotel pool.

You can follow the paved walkway on the waterfront from the Marriott to some shops. The trail might continue longer, but I did not venture.

Enjoy Coronado!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:51 AM
gc

There is no comparison. Coronado is strikingly beautiful...great beaches, perfect climate. Tour the Del Coronado hotel, a victorian architectural gem. The original Chart House restaurant is there...it occupies the building that was the electric generating plant when the hotel was built, and it was designed by Thomas Edison.
Tour the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, and old town to get a feel for the Spanish history.

Have a ball!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:27 AM
x

coronado is beautiful. the marriott is on the bay side with a great view of downtown. but, you'll have to walk over to the del for the beach. the water is usually quite cold (67) in july so don't expect florida temps. still swimable/playable, just chilly. if you drive down "the strand" about 10 minutes, you can find more deserted beaches. you should plan on spending one day at mission or pacific beach. they have lots of places to rent boggie boards or blades. a little more action down there then at the coronado beach. sea world is expensive but if you've never seen a similar shoe, i'd recommend it.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Mark

Stayed at the mariott in coronado many times. Been to Florida many times, too.
Coronado is fantastic. The resort is
great with a nice gym and lap pool, you're right on the Bay overlooking the SD skyline-there's a great rollerblade
walk that lines the perimeter right outside the Marriott gates, etc. On the other side of the "island" is Coronado beach-the best beach in SD in my opinion. Plenty of shops all around and various restaurants, icl. the usual junk food places.
have fun.
Mark

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Me

Hi Sheila!

I live in Florida and vacationed in Coronado a few years ago. As for a comparison of the beaches...Florida wins, hands down. The weather in California, although sunny, was quite cool along the beach and in the water. We stayed at the Del in June. We walked down to the beach and had to wear jackets because it was so cold. We couldn't get into the water for the same reason. We ended up spending our time by the pool and touring around the island. There wasn't a lot for kids to do on the island that I recall, but San Diego certainly has more to offer. If you're looking for something romantic to do with your husband, take a gondola ride around the waterfront. The company is located across from the Lowe's Hotel. They provide chocolate-covered strawberries and you bring the champagne...it's fabulous. Hope you have a great time!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:07 AM
roy

just came back for SD coronado is great but very differant from destin.
1. water is way to cold to swim in
2.beach in destin much nicer
3.destin less expensive

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Piggy

Hope you don't mind me piggy-backing, Sheila! I am also thinking of going to the island and woner if anyone can elaborate on differences between Marriott, Loews and Hotel del Coronado.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Steve

Sheila, while SD is very nice all around with plenty to do with kids, if you are strictly interested in a "beach vacation" as you so describe, then you will surely be disappointed in the beaches compared to Destin and Clearwater, whose beaches/water are far more beautiful and WARMER!! In my opinion, though, the San Diego Zoo is worth the trip itself!!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:24 AM
x

depending upon the age of your kids, they won't care if the water is a little cool. it's us adults that wimp out...the water is packed with kids having fun in the summer. but, it's not florida water. try it. always good to experience new places.