Reload this Page >

Opinion La Playa Beach Resort or Edgewater Beach Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 05:51 PM
al

Any Opinions out there? Which would you choose and why? Thanks.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Patrick

Perhaps the reason you have failed to get any answers is because you have failed to mention where you are talking about. As a long time resident of Naples, of course, I recognized your question.
Two major questions: what do you plan to do and will you have a car?
If staying at the resort is your primary aim, then I'd probably suggest LaPlaya (but I must admit I haven't been by it since their big renovation). On the other hand it is way out of downtown Naples, where all the "action" is these days. Depending on the season it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes to get to Fifth Avenue South. The Edgewater is much smaller, very refined, and quite close to the downtown area. We have been guests at their private rooftop restaurant which is excellent and has spectacular sunset views.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:46 PM
topper

I think you're both blind. Here is the original post that Amy and Patrick couldn't find.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 06:40 PM
al

Patrick thanks for your response. We do have a car and we do plan on relaxing at the resort. I was just curious on which resort was nicer and more up to date. Since you live in Naples, how is the weather late December? Can you swim in the ocean? Are there any snorkling spots? Thanks for any help you can share.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Patrick

I've lived in Naples for 25 years now, so no, I wouldn't go into the water in December, but some "crazy" Northerners do -- it's still warmer than the Pacific ever gets off California, for example. Weather in December can be iffy. One year we had the only freeze in a 10 year period -- on Christmas day! Sometimes we have to close up and turn the air on for Christmas dinner because it's just too hot. So you really can expect almost anything, but rain is pretty unlikely.

I would say that the redone LaPlaya is more "up to date" and certainly bigger and more "resort like", than the small but elegant Edgewater. My preference would be the smaller, less resort or convention like hotel, but many would prefer LaPlaya -- can't speak for you.

Don't expect to snorkle along the Gulf Coast. There is about a 5 foot visability. My scuba class had to be held in a pool -- this just isn't the area for clear water.