Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oops, One more ? Maui Trilogy sail, Lanai or Molokini?

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 04:37 PM
Laurel

OOPS!
Forgot one,
I went to make a reservation on the Trilogy day sail and discovered there are two of them, which to book?....

...Trilogy V to Lanai? or Trilogy I to Molokini Crater?

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 06:51 PM
Bart

Laurel, Lanai is the best Trilogy trip. We did it for the 1st time in Feb and in 8 trips to Maui it was one of the best excursions. Start at 6:30 am and return at 4 pm. They feed you and you can spend a day on a beautiful beach on Lanai, tour the island, snorkel off the beach, etc. It is well worth it.

Aloha,
Bart

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 05:57 AM
casey

Definitely the trip to Lanai ! It was the best day of our 10 day honeymoon this past May. The food is great, we had beautiful snorkeling on the way to Lanai, and we sailed back to Maui. Take an underwater camera too. Its worth getting up at 5:30.
Aloha!

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 05:06 AM
Charlie

Hi Laurel,
I've just returned from 2 wks on Maui and I sailed Triolgy to Lanai.I agree with Bart & Casey that Trilogy is a first class operation and the Lanai trip overall is terrific and a great way to spend the day.The only negative,for me, was that I expected excellent snorkeling and was disappointed.I've snorkeled lots of places and maybe I'm spoiled,but the Lanai snorkeling was from the beach and ,I'm told,the surf is usually a little high causing cloudy visability underwater not to mention some difficulty for inexperienced snorkelers getting in and out of the water.Sorry I don't want to drag this out but I wanted to share my observations and say that if you just want an overall nice day,Triolgy/Lanai is excellent,but if snorkeling/bathing is a primary issue Triolgy/Molokini is probally the trip for you.HAVE A GREAT TRIP !!!!!

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 08:03 AM
Laurel

Thank you Charlie! We are definately interested in great snorkeling! We would be disappointed to go all the way for a day at the beach.

If anyone has input specifically on the Molokini trip I would be very interested.

Thanks to all for responding!
Laurel

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 08:44 PM
Heidi

Aloha Laurel...
Say did'nt you make a post about a
dinner/cocktail cruise too????
;-)
As for snorkel trips to Molokini...
yes it is a great place to go snorkeling
and yes Trilogy does a great job...
And yes you will problbly have a great
time...but... there are at least 15
other boats out there at the same time
you are...so the down side of Molokini
is that it can be very crowded...
unlike the trip to Lanai.
I have just recently discovered a great
new boat and place for a snorkel trip..
The Boat is The 53 ft wing-masted Catamaran named the Kapalua Kai...
it sales out of both Kaanapali and Kapalua and goes to several sites along
the Kapalua coast including the
beautiful Honolua Bay Marine Sanctuary.
They offer two trips...
1. Picnic/snorkel sail approx 4 1/2
hours it departs late morning...
includes buffet lunch,cocktail service, snorkel gear, you just bring a towel and sunscreen.

2. Sunset Sail...approx 2 hrs.
A true sailors delight, while enjoying a romatic sunset ! includes cocktail service and Pupu's (appetizers)

If you are interested in checking
prices and availability...
just drop me a line....

Have a Maui wonderful day...

Mahalo,
[email protected]

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 04:33 AM
Tish

Laurel,
You can't go wrong when booking a sailing trip with Trilogy. The outfit is definitely first class: amazing catamarans, experienced crew, delicious cinnamon buns!

Lanai is a full day sail and the ride over to the island is enjoyable, although the water at the snorkeling site can be a bit cloudy. I was last there in August '97 and, although I enjoyed the sailing out and back, as well as touring the island (it takes about an hour and is worth the ride), and hanging out on the beach, the snorkeling wasn't as clear as Molokini. Having said that, if you're in for the full day run and want to spend maximum time on the sailing I'd definitely head out to Lanai.

Molokini is a half day affair with a visit to the marine preserve followed by a swim with sea turtles. Great to see them glide through the water (Be sure to follow the divers who will point them out for you).

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 08:05 AM
David

Don't go to Molokini. We did and it was very dissapointing. Just like someone else said- thewre are 15 other boats there at the same time, and not only that- the fish life is minimal at best, and there is no underwater scenery either. It has just been damaged and over run by too many people over too long a period of time. It was the worst snorkeling site we've ever been too. Seriously, save your money and snorkel some where else. One thing we did enjoy was a dinner cruise on the Navitek II- excellent.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 02:54 AM
mrboo

Forget that 6am business! Take the Lanai trip leaving at 10am and returning at sunset. We loved our trip. We stretched out on the catamaran's trampolines and watched the spinner dolphins leap out of the water ahead of us. We tried the snorkeling but it was too cloudy (the water, that is). That's ok, there's *plenty* of snorkeleing on the island.