Reload this Page >

Only 3 days in NYC , help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 08:53 AM
lisa

My sister-in-law and I only have 3 days in NYC. We are staying at the Plaza on August 3-5 and have no plans. We both know we will be back again and we both have kids so we would like a relaxing adult trip. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Melissa

are you thinking museums? tourist attractions? restaurants? etc. If you give me more guidance, I'm sure I can make some good suggestions.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 10:00 AM
philip

If you are there on Friday night, go to the Metropolitan Museum for cocktails on the Roof Deck. The Met is open late, have a drink, walk around. Drinks at the top of the Peninsula hotel is also fun.

On Saturday, go to Soho and hit some of the boutiques. There are some great day spas there, as well (reservation needed.)

On sunday, go the Park and have lunch at the Boathouse Cafe. You might also want to think about getting in line for free tickets to "Shakespeare in the Park." Check their website for details. (Note, for a popular production with a well known star, be prepared to get on line at 8 a.m. for 12:30 ticket distribution.)

If you go to a show, I'd recommend something like Cabaret for two adults. (Get an orchestra seat and sit in the "lounge" tables.)

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Kathy

Philip....
Do you know how many tickets are distributed for Shakespeare in the Park? If you don't get there by 8:00
is it hopeless? We wanted to go July 31st, but since we are there just a few days hate to spend half a day on line.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Kathy

Should have addressed that last message to Philip or anybody else who might know about tickets for Shakespeare in the Park. What about Mostly Mozart? I understand that you don't have to get tickets, but what time do you need to be there in order to get a seat?

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 01:14 PM
nyer

Kathy,
Shakespeare in the Park is run by the Public Theatre. The show that will be on during your visit is Chekhov's The Seagull, not a Shakespeare production this time. Check their website for details
(http://www.publictheater.org)/
You can get tickets in Central Park Or the theatre (downtown location)
starting at 1pm. For popular shows (i.e. wll known star/ good reviews) tickets go fast. Major stars in this one, so the chances of getting tickets by going up to the theatre right before show time seem very small to me!

Mostly Mozart is NOT a free/ general admission program at Lincoln Center. It is a regular series of ticketed events. Are you thinking perhaps of other Lincoln center events such as Lincoln Center Out-of-doors (starts in August, Ithink) or Midsummer Night Swing (dance and music outddors, technically with an admission charge, but you can hear/participate right outside the roped -off area for free)??
Look at
www.lincolncenter.org for more info.
I and others have posted lots of free NYC summer events info on previous posts so try searching for 'NYC' or NYC free concerts, or ask again for more specificcdetails!