Driving from Dulles airport to Gettysburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 12:44 PM
hans

Greetings,

I'll be flying into Dulles airport (DC/Virginia) and then driving to Gettysburg. My innkeeper suggests heading back towards DC on the airport access road and picking up I-270 to head north. Isn't there a better way to head north right from the airport or is it convoluted enough that staying on the toll road and then the interstate makes more sense? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Hanna

Your innkeeper is right, that is the best way to go. There may be a "back road" way to go, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's pretty much a straight shot up 270 to Gettysburg. Have a good time.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:22 PM
phil

Hans,
If you have not been to Gettysburg before, there is a great book by Michael Shaara called "The Killer Angels" which is a dramatization of the battle. It is told from the perspective of the major players, Lee, Hancock, etc. It has good maps and really provides a terrific overview.
It is also an extremely entertaining read.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Joanna

I disagree with the last reply. I work at Dulles airport and would go a different way. There is a toll road ($1.25) right at the airport called the DULLES GREENWAY that goes from Dulles north up to Maryland. Check out Expedia.com for a map and directions. Good luck!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Jill

The Greenway doesn't go to Maryland. I think it ends in Leesburg, Va. You can then take 15 north to Gettysburg. I would think this is probably less mileage wise but you can definitely drive faster on 270 than 15 so not sure which would actually be faster.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 05:38 AM
Ruth

I would highly recommend taking the route that lets you avoid 270. To get there, you come east on the Dulles access road, get on the Capital Beltway and take it to 270. This is a major commuter route and depending upon what day of the week and what time you're traveling, you can expect to hit heavy traffic at best and major tie-ups at worst.

The route suggest by Jill, which is to use Rt. 15, would be my preference. It is more scenic and definitely less stressful than 270, particularly if you are not used to big city traffic congestion. We are considered to have some of the worst in the country.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Ann

As Ruth said, you can't get to 270 directly from the access road.