Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Online hotel booking: Are there always enough beds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to book a hotel online for one night, probably through Expedia. There are 3 of us -- myself, teenage son (17) and teenage daughter (19). I called the hotel direct, and they wanted $20 extra for the 17-year-old. Thru Expedia, the 17yo is considered a child, and there is no extra charge. The only rooms offered are Standard (1 queen or 2 full beds) and Executive (1 king or 2 queens). My question: When you specify that there are 3 total guests, does the hotel always reserve you a room with 2 beds -- or is there a chance there will be only one?
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:11 AM

If you look at the FAQ's on Expedia, stated there is that you can request a number of beds, but this is considered a "special request" that will be forwarded to the hotel with no guarantee that your request will be honored.

More discouraging is that room types are not guaranteed either. "Unfortunately we cannot guarantee the room type. Expedia will do all possible to request the type of room you prefer, but ultimately it is based upon availability at the time of check in and up to the discretion of the hotel property."
Old May 29th, 2004, 02:06 AM

I am not sure most hotels "guarantee" bedding either if you reserve with them - that is also often in the fine print. Much written here about non-smoking and bedding requests not being honored and hotel reminding customer that it was a "request". Happened to us recently with hotel in New York for 3 rooms - even though we booked through hotel, had written confirmation stating bedding. At check-in clerk told us that they had no double-double rooms in hotel (not just that they were filled). Lots of irate customers at desk.

However, we have always been able to get a roll-away in such situations.
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Sorry if this is a repeat, but Fodor's did something weird after I posted.

I'm curious about something: How can Expedia declare the 17 is considered a child when the hotel claims he's an adult? Wouldn't hotel policy trump Expedia? If that's so, couldn't the hotel then add the extra $20.00 if they were so inclined?
Old May 29th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Jun20

Have you also checked the hotel's website regarding room rates. Last December, I booked online with the hotel for 5 people, and they acknowledged 5. Two adults and 3 children.

I was given a confirmation number and I later called the 800 number to say, I needed a rollaway, too. I was told there would be a $20 charge and decided to take my chances by saying no. When I arrived we were given 2 queens. I smiled at the receptionist, and said we really need a rollaway bed for the extra person. She said she would have one sent to the room -- and then I asked, what is the charge. She told me, No Charge.

Calling the hotel direct may be someone who is doing all the booking for a chain.