One week in Charlotte?

Search

One week in Charlotte?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week in Charlotte?

Hello travelers, we are trying to plan a vacation to the South in April. The problem is that there are no direct flights to Savannah (where we really want to go) or Charleston from Las Vegas. Our only choice with a nonstop flight is Charlotte.

So my question is, would one week in Charlotte be too long? How long would it take to drive to the nearest nice beach? I understand Charleston is about 4 hours away, hubby wouldn't like to drive that long, about 90 mins would be max. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

topping
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:26 AM

IMO a week in CLT would be a little long. There are some interesting shops, Discovery Place, and the Mint Museum there. The nearest beach is over three hours away. It is the hub for USAIRWAYS in the South so it is relatively easy to get connectors to Charleston, Savannah, etc. You might consider a direct flight to JAX from which you could easily drive to the GA islands or Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach.
If you do go to CLT:
You could drive to Winston-Salem which has an extraordinary eighteenth and nineteenth century restored community (Old Salem), Blowing Rock, a small charming village in the NC mountains, Asheboro, which has the very excellent NC Zoo, or Greenville, SC, which is a lovely town.
While in CLT try the Pewter Rose for a meal.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 04:56 AM

As the poster said, getting to Charleston or even Myrtle Beach (don't stay there, head south to Litchfield) is an easy air connection through Charlotte and add maybe an hour to your flight time. I don't understand the need to stay IN Charlotte. Charleston is about 3 hours drive (and I would recommend it over Savannah), Wilmington (and an azalea festival) is about 3 hours. The mountains--Ashville--is about 2 1/2 hours. Just an observation, but you seem to have some real constraints on your travel which limit your choices a lot.
April will be azalea time in the southeast. Charlotte can be absolutely drop dead gorgeous if all the gods come together properly with azaleas and dogwood blooming.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 06:54 AM

I second the suggestion to fly to JAX and head to one of the nearby beaches or up to Savannah. In Georgia, St. Simons Island/Jeckyll Island might be a nice stop. I haven't been there in years, but it looked nice when we drove through one afternoon.

Near Jacksonville, you've got Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach, and St. Augustine nearby. The beaches are nice in these areas and it might be the vacation you are looking for.

Don't know if you can find a non-stop flight from Vegas to JAX, though.

If you want to drive to Savannah from Atlanta, it will take around 4-5 hours (250 miles, but it should be an easy drive once you get out of the Atlanta area on I-16), you could spend your trip in Savannah, as originally planned. There are loads of non-stop flights to ATL from Vegas.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a nice vacation.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 08:00 AM

You can drive to Savannah MUCH more easily from Charlotte. And Charleston even easier--with lots more to do. Good beaches near Charleston. The plantations would be spectacular at that time also.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses! I am printing this thread for my husband so we can discuss the options. I've always wanted to see Savannah after seeing "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". I never had any idea there was so much to see in Charleston. Also the islands of Georgia or Ameila islands sound great.

Unfortunately there are no direct flights JAX-LAS which is surprising to me. We just may end up taking the connecting flights for Charleston or Savannah after all.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM
GoTravel

Travelinwifey, aren't you in Vegas?

Hooters Air flies direct from Las Vegas to Myrtle Beach and Charleston is about a hour and a half drive max from Myrtle Beach International Airport.

Mom mother has flown Hooters Air and speaks very highly of the airline.

I would split the week between Charleston and Savannah.

There is no reason to stay in Charlotte. While it is a nice city, it isn't a vacation destination.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

GoTravel, I thought we had it! I just called Hooters Air and they said they won't be starting that route until May-June. We have the vacation time mid April only. I am so bummed!

I think you're right about about Charlotte. Charleston/Savannah seem to be the only way to go.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:10 AM
GoTravel

travelinwifey, the drive from Charlotte to Charleston isn't bad at all because it is all interstate.

You jump right on Interstate 77 for about an hour and a half and then get on Interstate 26 for about an hour and a half and you are there.

Would you consider a change of planes in Chicago O'Hare? United has a direct flight from O'Hare to Charleston.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 10:14 AM
GoTravel

Another thought, Spirit Airlines flies direct from Vegas to Detroit and then you can fly direct from Detroit to Myrtle Beach.

We often use Myrtle Beach airport because it is served by many more carriers than Columbia, Charleston, or Savannah.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again It looks now as though we may wait until there are nonstop flights to Myrtle Beach. So it may be July or August. It will be scorching but we don't mind. Thanks so much GoTravel, we never even would have considered Hooters, lol. I checked each airport's website to try to find different regional carriers. My Dad did a tour of the South last year and just fell in love with Savannah and Southern hospitality, he wants to go back. I am really looking forward to the trip.

Again, thanks cmcfog, Gretchen, and Heartburn3 for your insights.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 12:09 PM

I really think travel to Charleston, Savannah or CLT, for that matter, is better in April than July or August. Aside from heat and humidity concerns, April is when the most gorgeous trees, shrubs and flowers are in bloom, the weather is usually delightful and it is a wonderful time to be here. I also suggest you look at the recent Charleston trip report posted by GoTravel...she did a great job! Made me want to pack and head on down.