Search

One week Hawaiian tour

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:11 AM
GJB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week Hawaiian tour

My sister and I are looking for a one-week tour of Hawaii. I'd love to do a cruise, but the reviews for the Norwegian Cruise Lines-US liners are horrendous! Any suggestions for first-class tours, similar to Tauck in quality but at a more reasonable price?
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:12 AM
GJB
Original Poster

I neglected to add that we are hoping to do this trip in August 2007. NCL offers the ONLY cruise ships sailing in Hawaii in August.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you hoping to see all the islands? With only 1 week, I really do think a cruise would be the only way to reasonably accomplish that.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:49 AM
bonniebroad

GJB, you're going to a wonderful place ... I'd bet your sister and you will love it. I really wouldn't do a cruise in Hawaii ... I think you'd really lose some of "the magic" that way! I will also say that Hawaii is so easy to navigate on your own, with a little planning, that I don't think you need to pay for a tour. It's easy, with a couple of travel books and the crew on this travel board. I'd also advise, if you can, try to stretch your visit to 10 days or two weeks, especially if this might be the only time you travel to Hawaii. There's so much to see and do there ...

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
Ag3046

You miss out on so much on a cruise around Hawaii. Like others have said, it is so easy and much nicer to be on land. Do you like to walk on the beach in the cool morning? Do you like to splash in the water whenever you want? Do you like to dawdle over cocktails at sunset, or shop in fun boutiques? For only one week, you are not going to be able to enjoy any of that if you do a cruise and get bussed around.

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I still think the most important question is how many island they are trying to see?? I don't think you can comfortably do more than 2 islands traveling on your own and in only 7 days. I'd suggest Oahu & Maui for a first timer.

If they are really trying to see all 4+ islands, I think they'd need the assistance of some kind of organized something to pull that off.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM

If you like cruises, and you want to see a lot of islands -for a short time-the cruise will satisfy. It can give you a good overview for a later trip. I've had friends do the NCL and really enjoy it.

If it is experiencing Hawaii, and not the cruising that you want, I'd sugest you spend your week on one island.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:54 PM

ditto what everyone else said.

Just to explain to you, though, NCL is the only line that runs through the islands during the summer because all the other cruise lines go to Alaska at that time. Hawaii's busiest cruise months are from October through April. If you are looking to get on Holland America, you'd need to book during those months. (Trust me, I work at the cruise ship terminal--www.alohatower.com)
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
trippinkpj

I personally agree with others. I'd pass on the cruise and do 3 nights on one island and four on another. 3 on Oahu, and 4 on Maui would be my suggestion if you only have a week.