Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

one way car hire help - UK website suggestions or US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still trying to sort car hire for forthcoming trip from UK. We need to pick up at San Diego, drop off Las Vegas. I'd ideally like to avoid a one way drop off charge (about $100). Is anyone from the UK able to recommend a good website or would it be cheaper to book through an American site, and if so, any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:45 AM

I have encountered a similar prickly problem hedgehog - picking up in Boston and dropping off in NYC in April. One company wanted a $300 charge.
I used Value cars for a European hire last summer and was impressed by them - good rates and good service. Their deal, which I think uses Dollar cars, has a $50 drop-of charge in Manhattan.
Might be worth trying them out at
www.value-car-hire.com. They didn't have the US rates on the website a few weeks back but you will find a phone number there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:10 AM

I am a US citizen living in Europe. When I am renting a car in the US, I have found the the European-based websites for US rental car agencies quote much higher prices than the US-based websites. Simiarly, if you indicate when on a US website that you live in Europe (or tell them on the phone when enquring into rates or making a reservation) you get quoted higher rates. I would use the US websites and don't indicate where you live when asking for price quotes (or indicate the US). When making a reservation, you may need a US address to which they can mail a confirmation. If you have friends or work colleagues in teh US, they may not ojbect to your using their address.

It is virtually impossible to avoid one-way charges in the US.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:03 AM

why not try orbitz.com and ck price..they will email the conformation to you....
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Try National. They often do not have the one way charges that other companies charge. Their web site is www.nationalcar.com
Enjoy your trip to the US.