Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you had experience with Holiday Auto to rent a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Lisa

I would like to rent a car in Mallorca this summer. Holiday Auto was mentioned to me as a possible rental agency. If you have used Holiday Auto, I would appreciate your feedback on their reliability and service. Thanks.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Frances

We've used them several times but not in Majorca.<BR>In 1994 or thereabouts they were quite a young company and gave us the best quote for a hire car out of Halifax N.S.It was a pre-requisite that we could take the car over the border into the U.S. and we had been warned we could have trouble with this.So we made sure that was O.K. before placing the booking.<BR>You can guess what happened we turned up and although the car was available they knew nothing about the fact that we wanted to go into the States and in fact said we weren't allowed to.We rang the U.K. and they promised to sort it out.They took details of where they could contact us and promised to get back to us.<BR>When we arrived at the address we had given there was a fax waiting for us-problem sorted and a big apology.<BR>I was impressed by this and consequently we have booked with them several times since.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Alec

I have used them several times recently and have had no problems. They are a broker/consolidator, like Auto Europe, and based in UK, but worldwide e-business.<BR>I like them because they will try to beat competitor's tariffs and promise to refund any deductibles levied by rental company, provided a copy of accident report is returned.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Lisa

Frances and Alec, thank you for your replies. Did both of you book your reservations via the internet, or over the telephone? I was told by the person who originally reccommended the company that I should book over the ionternet, but I am a little nervous about this. I would prefer to do it over the phone.<BR><BR>I will be looking forward to your replies. Thank you again.<BR><BR>Lisa

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Alec

I normally book on the phone as I try to get them to beat competitor's quote. Even by saying something like 'That's more than I want to pay' elicited a further small discount.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Jenny

Hi Lisa,<BR><BR>Without wanting to rain on others parades...<BR><BR>We TRIED to book cars with Holiday Autos twice - once in Mallorca, and once in Crete, and we're still waiting for them to turn up! <BR><BR>For Mallorca, we booked via a travel agent, before we went, and the car was supposed to be waiting for us at the airport. There was no record of it (despite us having paid), and we got all sorts of hassle, before finally gettting a car from them, and carrying on.<BR><BR>In Crete, we booked via the phone, and the car was supposed to be delivered to our accommodation, around half way through the holiday. We figured the same thing couldn't happen again, surely... Again, no record of the booking, and the car didn't turn up. In the end, after about 5 phone calls to the main office, I got so angry, I cancelled the booking, and swore never to use them again.<BR><BR>I hope we have just been unlucky, but I thought I'd let you know our experiences with them....

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Lisa

Thanks to all for your replies!<BR><BR>Jenny, I am sorry about your unfortunate experiences with Holiday Auto. It seems like others have had positive experiences. I wonder, as you do, Jenny, whether your case was an isolated incident or more the rule.<BR><BR>I hope to hear from more people regarding this company.<BR><BR>Thanks again.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:12 AM
Val

We used holiday autos at Malaga airport last December and our flight was delayed for 40 minutes. Upon arrival late a night they imposed a heavy charge for the delay. We had no option but to pay up and they advised us to try and reclaim it from the airline. The cars we ordered were also not available.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 08:31 AM
AR

I've used Holiday Autos three times, and found them excellent. They seem to be the only ones, in my experience, that don't try and sell you extra unwanted or un-needed insurance. The price you pay initially is the final price. They do what they call &quot;The Max&quot; where for a small fee (around $10 I think) they will add an extra driver, allow you to take out full-fuel &amp; return empty and waive any late arrivals fees. I am certainly going to use them again next summer in Cyprus.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Lisa

Thanks again for your replies!