Reload this Page >

One Washington Circle hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Sylvia G

We will be coming in for an opera at Kennedy Center next week. Since it's during the week, I couldn't find any of those good weekend bargains.
We have a reservation at the One Washington Circle suite hotel, which is close to Kennedy Center.
Has anyone stayed there? Is it okay?
I would appreciate any comments.
Thanks.
Sylvia in Philly

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Andy

Yes- stayed there a few years ago-
we chose it BECAUSE it was close to the Kennedy Center and they offered a complimentary Cont.bkfst..

Nice hotel- but not near anything-You will need a car--

Take a taxi or walk to Kennedy Center-the car park is UNDER renovation and there is tons of construction and no place to park your car....

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Sylvia G

Thanks for the advice about parking. We will probably walk over.
Also, I read somewhere that there is a free shuttle bus from the Foggy Bottom Metro Station to the Kennedy Center. I'm hoping that the people at the hotel will have that information.
Sylvia

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Mike

There are red Kennedy Center Shuttles running all day and evening from the Foggy Bottom/GWU Metro Station, which is across the circle from your hotel.

I am not sure where Andy was going that he wasn't near anything since Washington Circle is right in the center of town. A 15 minute walk to the heart of G-town, a 10 minute walk to DuPont Circle, less then 5 minutes to the Foggy Bottom Metro.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Sylvia G

Thank you. Sounds like it will be just right for us!
Sylvia

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Ann

As Mike said, Andy was wrong--you don't need a car if you're staying at that hotel. Metro is close enough that you can get around very easily.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Sylvia G

Thanks for the help.
We stayed here - it's completely renovated and it was wonderful. I recommend it highly!

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We stayed in this hotel with three small children- had no problem just walking to all the sites- even with the kids little legs!

Nice hotel- only thing-it is across the street from a hospital and the ambulance sirens kept me awake all night....
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:37 AM
emd

OWCH (One Washington Circle Hotel) has a special place in my heart, as I met my husband there while staying there on business. That was many years ago, but we still go there for dinner, and occassionally stay in the hotel on a weekend night for old time sentimental sake. Plus we like the hotel, andbeleive it or not, some of the same bellman who worked there when I had a corporate lease there are still there. It is close to Foggy Bottom metro, walking distance to Georgtown and even Dupont Circle if weather is nice. It's not the newest and nicest hotel, but the rooms are large and have a kitchenettes(it was converted from being an apartment bldg. to a hotel); some are like small apartments. You don't need a car there. It is indeed across the circle from GW Univ. Hospital, but you can ask for a room not facing the side on the circle and higher up and it will be much more quiet.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:10 PM
emd

Ha! I just realized that this thread started in 2002, and it was surfaced for some reason by trips4me today. But thanks for bringing up the memories anyway.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 07:04 PM

EMD- what a great story!! I saw this thread while researching another trip we are taking to DC- thought Andy was crazy for saying you needed a car- I remember the hotel as being very nice and thought it would be good though, to warn about the hospital across the street-- DH even liked the hotel- and he never pays attention to these things...the people who worked there were very nice and did not mind us having children at all. I have been to some hotels since then that have been snide to me becuase of the children(it seems- or maybe nice hotel staff are just hard to find) but it made me appreciate OWC a lot more in retrospect!!
Thanks again emd for posting your advice!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:04 PM

Another recommendation for One Washington Circle as being fairly luxurious and very well located while being relatively secluded would have to come from the late Richard Nixon, who, I've read, made it his favorite place to stay when returning to Washington after leaving the Presidency.

Has anyone tried the new restaurant in this hotel which replaced the West End Cafe? How is it? I had a soft spot for the West End Cafe, which was the first fine restaurant I ever went to in DC, nearly twenty years ago, when I visited my ex-wife who was living in the neighborhood while doing a summer internship at the World Bank. I loved their dark, sleek atmosphere and their warm apple soup, and wonder what the place which has replaced it is like.