One Tank Trips

Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

One Tank Trips

As we are all painfully aware of, most of us are having to cut back on spending. When it comes to vacations, I am not sure we will spend the 2-3 weeks away at one time this year. We are still thinking about that or, as an alternative, taking a couple of shorter and closer to home trips. Staying within 4-6 hours of driving from home would eliminate 2 big expenses -- airfare and car rental.

We are in the Atlanta area and have been to Asheville lots of times. I am looking for suggestions of other places to go and stay for 3-5 days that we can drive to from here. Additionally, I would like to keep the trip within $750 for food, lodging and activities.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM

Charlestons, SC, & Savannah, GA, are both great destinations within 4-6 hours. Lots of history, shopping, dining, etc. in both.

I like Helen, GA as a base for exploring the north GA monutains.

Gatlinburg, TN makes a good base for Pigeon Forge (shopping, shows, Dollywood), Great Smokey Mountains Park, Cherokee, Cade's Cove.

We also like the Pine Mountain/FDR State Park area - lots of neat towns, inexpensive lodging @ the State Park. Westville, GA is an 1850's town recreated - great fun on the weekend. Also, Providence Canyon State Park (Ga's little grand canyon) is not to be missed.

There's always Jekyll Island/St. Simon's - good sea aquarium & some history.

Hope this helps - we're fellow Georgians - Jefferson, GA.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM

We love going to Jekyll Island and it's a long way for us to go to do it! We enjoy the historical homes, bike trails, and uncrowded beach. There's a wide range of accomodations available, so you should be able to find something in your budget.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM

Many great places in the Mts outside of Asheville, Chimney Rock for Eg. Also Natchez, MS. comes to mind (although perhaps a bit far). Chattanooga & the Coast from Wilmington, NC to Amelia Island Fl.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM

There's a place I really enjoyed, but maybe it's too close. It's the old Lake Rabun Hotel (or Lodge) and it is better since it was renovated a few years ago. Right across the road from a good restaurant and Lake Rabun proper, where I have rented a boat and enjoyed motoring aroung the lake. Just over from Lake Rabun is Lake Burton, also a lovely place with usually some cottages to rent. There was an older motel there at one time but I don't know if it's still there. Also there was a wonderful family-dining kind of place that was located by the motel.