Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One Night in San Diego alone - what should I do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I am a 35 year old woman going to San Diego, staying at the Sheraton on Harbor Is. 2/20-21 for a conference. I will have Sat night 2/21 free and leave at 7am the next day. Suggestions on what to do for one night that is safe for a lone woman? Maybe Gaslamp so I can eat and walk around/shop? I don't want to wander too far from the hotel since I don't have a car. I like all kinds of food, esp. Italian, Asian and Mexican. That's also the Sat. before Mardi Gras. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM

The Sheraton Harbor Island is close to the airport, not walkable to the Gaslamp. You could take a cab to Seaport Village, explore there, and walk to the Gaslamp for dinner... or stay in the Seaport vicinity and walk a few blocks to eat good seafood at the Fish Market. I'd suggest eating at the oyster bar, great menu and comfortable as a solo. Much more than oysters to choose from!
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I was just in San Diego and Gaslamp is really more of a party atmosphere, I didn't find it that pleasant. I would either get a cab or hop the trolley to Old Town (not far from the airport). It is quite lovely to walk around, shop for trinkets and eat. Certainly a safe place to wander around.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 07:47 AM

My favorite place in the Gaslamp is Croce's. Creative and excellent food at reasonable prices. Many nights jazz music in the bar.

Another alternative is to take a cab up to La Jolla. George's or Crab Catcher are good spots. La Jolla is pleasant to walk and shop around.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, your best bets would be eithrer Seaport village-which you could walk to from your hotel, but it's a longish walk, along the Embarcadero. You'd pass the Star of India and the other ships in the Maritime Museum. You might be able to look around if it's still open when you're there.

http://sdmaritime.org/index.asp

Then you'll pass the Midway Museum, and if it's open you might find that interesting.

www.midway.org

Seaport Village itself is mostly touristy stuff, with a couple of galleries thrown in, and a great hat shop. There are restaurants there, plus it's close to the Fish Market as mentioned and adjacent to the manchester Hyatt and not far from the Gaslamp restaurnats.

I think you'd maybe enjoy La Jolla more. Lots of great shopping, little boutiques, etc. and lots of restaurants. It's further away from your hotel though.

Enjoy San Diego!
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM

San Diego on a Saturday night... yeah it would be nice to see the ocean during the daylight one day or the other, but I really do think the Gaslamp is a great area for you to take-in during the evening.

I second the vote for "Croce's", although it seems like you were born just about the time he passed away. Still, it would be quite difficult to live 3 1/2 decades in the USA (guessing) and not have known his music well.

The Gaslamp will have enough people out to keep you safe, and enough of them will be suitable for excellent *people watching* too.

Have a great time there!