One night in Fargo, ND quick trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2023, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As part of a slow effort eventually to visit the remaining states I haven't seen, I flew to Fargo for one night last weekend. I'm posting this in case anyone is looking for recommendations for a similar visit. I got help on this forum and appreciate it.

I stayed at the Jasper Hotel downtown. It was a perfect choice, with a very comfortable room and nice view, extremely friendly staff and a wonderful, central location. Right outside the hotel is a plaza with water fountains (children were playing in them) and an open space for live music, exercise class, whatever. The hotel does not have parking, but a skywalk on the 2nd floor connects to the bank parking garage next door and parking there is free all day Saturdays and Sundays. The hotel has an open lobby bar and restaurant and a nice patio bar outside overlooking the plaza.

I rented a car at the airport for my 24-hour visit and found Fargo very easy to navigate. It's flat and there wasn't much traffic on the weekend.

The airport is only about 4 miles from downtown. The sights/activities I did were:

1. Visitor's Center. You can see the original woodchipper from the Coen Bros. movie Fargo. And there's a replica of it outside.
2. Plains Art Museum. It's not far from downtown with a free parking lot. Free admission.
3. Brewhalla: A newish venue that looks like a repurposed industrial site, with different vendors inside (beer, an oyster bar, a gelato place, stores, etc.). It's nicer than it sounds and is fine if you're looking for something to do.
4. Wurst Bier Hall, downtown. Beer, bacon flights, sausages (including rattlesnake sausage I did not try), borscht, etc.
5. Marge's Diner (downtown across the street from the Jasper Hotel) -- diner food, Sunday brunch.

I've heard the Air Museum is worth a visit but it was closed when I was there. (Closed Sundays and Mondays)

Old Jul 12th, 2023, 08:03 AM
Forum Moderator

Added Trip Report tag
Old Jul 12th, 2023, 02:34 PM

Did you get to see the Milky Way?
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 02:57 AM

We’re the northern lights from the recent solar activity visible?
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Sadly, the sky was overcast that night when I hoped to see the stars....and my visit was before the recent news of possible sightings of the Northern Lights in some of our northern states. Still hoping to do both one day!