One night in Denver -- where for dinner?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:12 PM
Harriett

One night in Denver -- where for dinner?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous post on this subject. We got an amazing rate at the Renaissance, between downtown and airport. Am now trying to choose between Nicoise, Tomayo, and Vespa's Dipping Grill -- hope I got the name correct! - and any other recommendations out there, for dinner Saturday night. We're mostly looking for something that we can't find here in the 'burgh; all recommendations are welcome, but would love a website or phone number for your favorites, so that I can make reservations. Many thanks!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:53 PM
June

I just went to VESTA's Dipping Grill on Saturday night and it was very good. It was alot more casual than I expected but fun and lively.
http://www.vestagrill.com/

I've only heard wonderful things about Nicoise, no first hand info.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Lexma90

Here's the info for Nicoise, at 815 17th Street, in Denver, at (303) 293-2322.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:28 AM
David

Harriett,

Glad to hear you got a good rate from the Renaissance...hope you have a car.

For what it's worth, here are my humble opinions on the three restaurants in question:

Nicois--Run by one of Denver's premiere chefs (Kevin Taylor) Nicois is a large, airy room with huge potted palms and a lively atmosphere. It used to be a bank (don't let that put you off--it's a neat room) and they've converted the space beautifully. Although we have not eaten dinner there, we have been there for their tapas and they are wonderful! You could easily make a meal out of the tapas alone.

Tamayo--Sitting on the corner of Larimer Square (one of the most historic and nicest streets downtown) Tamayo offers what I would describe as "noveau" Mexican and New Mexican cuisine. Nice room, good food and a great upstairs, outdoor patio with (some) mountain views. A real hot spot right now so get there early or make reservations.

Vesta Dipping Grill--The most casual of the three, The VDG offers diners a unique combination of meats and sauces. Once you decide on your entree, you are then offered an array of their delicious dipping sauces--hence the name. Neat concept, well executed. Very personable service.

Any or all of these will offer you experiences that you're not likely to repeat in every other major cities (ndependently owned and operated). Nicois and VDG are probably a little more unique, however, Tamayo does have that great patio and also affords you the opportunity to explore Larimer Square.

If you opt for Tamayos, check out The Samba Room (Cuban place--new and very hot on same street) and The Little Russian Cafe (two doors down from Tamayo).

Have fun,

Davidcs

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:13 AM
kima

What David said. I will add this I have eaten at all 3. I would choose Tomayo and Vesta's over Nicoise ONLY because of location. Tomayo and Vesta are in the heart of the action. Of the two I prefer Vestas food but others could easliy argue the other way. If its a nice eve Tomayos upstairs outside would be nice as your only here one night. There is an ice cream parlor next door. Grab a cone for desert and stroll around the area. If you prefer to dine indoors then Vestas. You will find the crowd at Vesta's typically younger.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:16 AM
kima

another thought as David said you will have to drive. We live not to far from the Renaissance, depending on your alcohol consumption I would recommend a taxi, its about 10.00 or so each way. Parking can easliy run you 10.00 if your going to spend over 2 hours DT.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:22 AM

ttt