One day w/o the kids in Napa area!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This July we are traveling to the Napa and Sonoma area to visit family with our two children. One afternoon and/or evening we'll get the chance to leave the boys with family and go see some wineries and have lunch OR go out to a nice, romantic dinner (possibly both but aren't sure about the schedule yet). I've looked through the previous threads but haven't hit upon what I need. We'll be staying in Napa, so I'd like to know about area wineries that are worthwhile to stop by, or fun lunch stops? I assume that Rutherford and Yountville are closer drives than Sonoma? I don't mind making a drive, but since we don't have a lot of time I'd rather maximize my touring on said drive. What about romantic restaurants that would make the short list for us to pick from? It would probably be Monday July 17, so not sure what might be closed that day or evening, or conversely what might already be booked up from a popularity standpoint. There is SO much to take in, I need somewhere to start. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Well, you can splurge and do a lunch on the patio at Auberge de Soleil.
http://www.aubergedusoleil.com/
It's tres expensive, but a fun experience. Sits WAY up in the hills with great views of the valley. Good thing to go on a Monday, it won't be as crowded in the wineries. There are some excellent small wineries off the Silverado trail, less traffic and more charm there and around the Calistoga area. My advice is to do a little rearch , find the types of wine you like and then find out who is famous for that type and choose some small, non-touristy family-style wineries. Much more pleasant experience.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Auberge du Soleil is an excellent suggestion! We were treated to lunch there by some friends as an anniversary gift. Had a table on the terrace and the view was spectacular. Service is superb, food good and the overall experience memorable.

Can't recommend the wine from experience, but the Rutherford Winery is very near the restaurant.
Old May 5th, 2006, 05:43 AM

yes, Rutherford is right by the entrance and was Auberge's house wine when we were there. Good stop.
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Any more out there?
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:51 AM

If you're staying in the city of napa, then yes, Rutherford and Yountville are much closer than Sonoma. Another good spot for lunch is Bouchon in Yountville. It can be a little expensive, but it's real solid true country French cuisine. As far as dinner goes, places like The French Laundry and La Toque are obvious, so if you're willing to shell out that much, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. However, there's a place up in St. Helena called Terra that's won a couple James Beard awards (one for Best Chef, another for service) that you can't go wrong at. I suggest the sake marinated black cod, and Table #43.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:07 AM

I, too, like Bouchon. But I don't think it is a French country cuisine restaurant, it serves good, solid French braserrie dishes.

For more of a good French country cuisine, then a few steps away from Bouchon is Bistro Jeanty, a nice, very casual, bistro setting. Their cassoulet is one of the best,if not the best, in the wine country/Bay Area.

Martini House in St. Helena is also a great wine country dining destination.

French Laundry would be the best, and most certainly worth the splurge, if you can snag a reservaton.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:37 AM

As for wineries to visit, and just so you can avoid the overly-touristic, circus-like atmosphere in wineries along Napa's main Hwy. 29, go to the wineries at the Stag's Leap district, specifically Silverado Trail area. There's a ton of friendly wineries in this area that are not heavily-visited. This area is well known for producing some of the better cabernet sauvignon in the whole of California.

Some wineries to visit, include
Clos du Val
Pine Ridge
Stag;s Leap Wine Cellars
Stag'ss leap Winery
Cliff Lede Vineyards
Silverado
Robert Sinskey
Sterling

These one's require advance appointments, but they make some of the best Cabs in the country:

Shafer (the Hillside Select is always just terrific)
Hartwell Winery
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM

The Rutherford area would be ideal for winery visits. I have a bias toward Peju Winery in Rutherford. It is a friendly place, pretty, and fun. The tasting room is often filled with spontaneous song, yodeling and laughter -- it doesn't take itself seriously but does make some seriously spectacular wines. Look elsewhere for snob appeal; this winery believes wine should be fully enjoyed! And the gardens are lovely...

Romance is up to you with all the restaurant choices. Auberge is THE most romantic, especially in the evening with its spectacular view. Very pricey, but you can get the same experience ordering a drink at the bar and sitting on the outside terrace. The Wappo Bistro in Calistoga is terrific if you sit in their shaded courtyard. Martini House in St Helena has nice food and ambience, but has that snob appeal I dislike. We enjoy Bistro Don Giovanni in Napa, Celadon's outdoor patio (also in Napa), LaToque (Rutherford), Culinary Institute (St Helena), Brix (Yountville) and...romantic for us...Taylor's Refresher, an 'upscale' hamburger stand in St Helena, with outdoor picnic tables, fish tacos, and the best milkshakes. OH, wine, too, of course. You could take your kids here.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM

Even though Auberge has that tremendous view, I like nothing better than sitting on the terrace at Tra Vigne under the trees and eating their delicious food. It's still my favorite restaurant in Napa at any price and it's not that expensive.

Most restaurants are open on Monday to accomodate the long weekenders.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks everybody! I sure appreciate all the information. I am still digesting it all and trying to figure out what we will want to do. Anybody have any thoughts about Celadon?
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Celadon - wonderful food here; you can't go wrong. In July the outdoor patio is delightful. Lamb, fish, salads, veggies, desserts...yum!