Reload this Page >

One day NYC birthday trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Owen O'Neill

I live so close to NYC that some may not consider it a "trip" but since there were some activities of interest to others (I hope) I offer a quick recap of the day.

My lady friend planned the day in advance as a surprise gift and it was fantastic - I'm fortunate to have such a friend.
1) Picked me up in a limo and whisked us off to Body Central on University Place for an accupressure/deep tissue massage. Very upscale chi-chi type of place with a pleasant staff. Massage was great - relaxing.
2) Limo to the Museum of Contemporary Art on lower Broadway. The main exhibit (don't recall the artist's name) was mostly "conceptual", e.g. a white wooden cube pedestal entitled "Empty Space 11 inches above a White Pedestal" - you guessed it - the "art" was the air above the pedestal! I think I'm in the wrong business... there was also a video installation of greater interest but the bookstore was great - lots of cool, quirky and off the wall art and photography books that I've never seen anywhere else.
3) Limo to Danube for dinner. My first time in a really high end NYC restaurant. We had the tasting menu - food was absolutely fantastic and service was also at the highest level (and pleasant - no attitude - very helpful and friendly). They even brought an extra dessert compliments of the pastry chef in recognition of my birthday (they had been advised in advance by my date).
4) Cab to SoHo Playhouse for "Under The Lintel" - a fascinating and involving one man play - 85 minute narrative that built an increasingly complex and intriguing tale while simultaneously revealing the life and character of the principal. Highly recommended.
5) Cab to the dock and NY Waterways ferry back top Weehawken where my friend's car awaited us for the drive home (I had to clean the snow from the car and do the driving but with a day like that who's to complain!!!)

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:38 PM
c

Happy Birthday Owen and what a nice birthday it was! Enjoyed reading about it~C

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Lizzie

Wow--lucky guy! I have been wanting to go to Danube--it's the place I can never think of when my boyfriend asks where I want to go for dinner. Thanks for reminding me...

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Liz

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing it with us - not only was it fun to hear about, but it also provided some nice ideas for "different" things to do in the city.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Owen O'Neill

Glad a few of you enjoyed hearing about it. Plan in advance for danube - she reserved 30 days in advance and we were still able to get only the first seating (5:30 PM). We arrived about ten minutes before the dining room was open and were offered a complimentary "Danube Cocktail" that has sparkling wine and elderflower essence (I don't drink but my friend told me it was delicious). The standard tasting menu is worth the extra $$ over ordering a la carte IMHO. If you order from any of the tasting menus they give you a complimentary gift bag when you leave that includes Danube mints and three varieties of chocolate/hazelnut candy - very nice. It's truly a beautiful room and a soothing atmosphere for enjoying a great meal. I was glad we went early - We were seated at 5:30 sharp and not out of the there to head for the theater until shortly after 7:30 - perfect timing. Despite the weirdness of the art exhibit (just my opinion) there were some very finely crafted and visionary pieces in it along with the stuff that seemed like a joke. I'd consider the $6 entry fee worthwhile. There was a video installation on the second floor that was shot over a period of many months from an upper floor of WTC prior to the 9/11 tragedy. It offered a moving and artistically filtered/edited montage of views of the city and skyline and was dedicated in memoriam to one of the artists (who was lost in the building collapse). It was beautiful and moving - really added to my day.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Laura

Nice to read. You were the one that really helped me on this board to plan my first trip to NYC last spring.

Glad you had such a nice birthday!
Can't wait for my next visit to NYC.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 04:33 PM
ttttttt

ttttttttt