One day/night in Philly - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm renting a car and driving to Philadelphia this Sat/Sun with my boyfriend. Our primary goals of this trip are: See Phillies game, buy things at IKEA (NJ) for our new apartment. Secondary goal: eat a cheesesteak.

But we'll have a little time to do other things. Any suggestions? We like modern & pop art, quirky antique shops, modern furniture stores (REALLY need to furnish the new apartment), historic architecture, and nice neighborhoods to stroll around. I've been to Philly twice before and both times all we did was walk from South Street to Independence Hall (there was a nice historic neighborhood right in between).

Also, we are going to spend one night at a hotel. Anyone know of a really good one, in a great location, for say $150 or under? I see that Hotwire has a 4.5 star hotel for $93 in Center City - Convention Center...does anyone know what hotel it is??
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 03:51 PM

I've used Priceline 3 times for Philly and got the Westin, Omni and Lowes for all around $80 ea time! Got all my info on biddingfortravel.com

I liked the art musueum and the Rodin museum but am more of a fan of Europeon art, not sure what is exhibiting right now.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:00 PM

Suzanne,

I the neighborhood you are referring to that was between South Street and Independence Hall is Society Hill. A great area for antique shops is Antique Row which along Pine Street from 9th - 12th Streets. If you haven't been to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, I'd go there.

As far as cheesesteaks are concerned, my favorite is Geno's at 9th and Passyunk. Others rave about Pat's King of Steaks across the street from Geno's and still other people prefer Jim's Steaks at 4th and South Streets.

A 4.5 star hotel near the convention center could be the Loews Hotel or the Marriott.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 06:02 PM

Oh by the way, for more information on what to do, go to www.gophila.com

Have a great time in Philly.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 07:53 PM

For food ratings check this site out:
www.hollyeats.com
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 07:40 AM

Go to Olde City!!!! There are a ton of funky furniture stores. Manayunk also has some cool shops for home decor- Cosmopolitan Home, Owen Roberts, Platypus. It is actually half way between Ikea and Center City. Great restaurants also for lunch, brunch and dinner.

I second Priceline for hotels.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank for all the suggestions!

I din't even know there was an IKEA outside of Philly. I may try that location instead of the NJ one (a complete zoo).

Not sure about bidding on Priceline..I haven't done it before...can I bid at the very last minute (say, Saturday AM for a hotel stay that night)?
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:24 AM

Suzanne,

Here's the link to the Ikea in Conshohocken, PA.

http://www.ikea-usa.com/ikea_near_yo...ocken/near.asp