One day in Maine- October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2021, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each year my husband and I go to New England for our anniversary for 4-5 days. This year we have one day we don't know what to do with and need some suggestions.

We have one entire day we can spend in Maine preferably. We are staying in Wells. We've done Portland, BoothBay, Acadia, and most of the coastal areas. Is there a nice road trip/drive we should do into the woodland/lake area of Maine? Something with cute apple orchards, country stores, pumpkin patches, drives, small towns etc.? We are certainly okay with a long driving trip and in fact might prefer that- we've never ventured into the "non" coastal areas of Maine and are wondering what we should do.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 05:48 AM

Would you consider Portsmouth NH? I like the boat trips out of Portsmouth. You can do a harbor cruise or inland rivers. My favorite drive is starting from Prescott Park/Strawbery Banke take Rt 1B thru New Castle. You can also drive the coastal route past the beautiful mansions in Rye. We like to eat at Petey's in Rye. Very casual and super popular so go at an off time. If you head toward Durham, Wagon Hill Farm is a conservation area with a nice walking trail to the water's edge. You might want to visit Flagg Hill Distillery in Lee NH.

Check the listings for farmers markets in the area.

Old Aug 25th, 2021, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take a drive out around Sebago Lake.

Does your date hit the Fryeburg Fair by chance?

Another very nice drive from Wells is out route 109 to Wakefield/ Lake Lovell, and then on to Wolfeboro NH for lunch . Then an alternate route back to Wells, maybe Alton Bay to Farmington then down through Rochester and over to North Berwick.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Aug 25th, 2021 at 11:33 AM.
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 02:01 AM

If you take clark's suggestion, Wolfboro is a beautiful little town. From there aim for Tamworth and Center Sandwich. Check to see if Corner House is open for lunch but there are good options in beautiful Meredith.
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I'm certainly open to New Hampshire, we've done quite a bit there though, including several days in Portsmouth. It's lovely!
I was wondering about more of the lakes, inland Maine region and it sounds like I've got some good suggestions. Thank you both, I'll look into these.
Old Aug 26th, 2021, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Out around the Sebago Lake area you'll find Randall Orchards in Standish and Windy Hill Farm in Windham.

McDougall Orchards is extremely popular and you'd find that on your drive out towards Lovell Lake/ Wolfeboro.

Spiller Farm is fun in October and that's right there in Wells.