Need Recommendations for one day in Maine in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Maine in October. We will be visiting Acadia, driving through New Hampshire, covered bridges, leaf peeping and the like. We also will be spending a few days just exploring Freeport and Portland- shopping eating, food tour. We have one day though before we fly home on October 13th we don't quite know what to do. We will be staying in Freeport, Maine. We will have the whole day that day to do something with.

Should we go south and head towards Kennebunkport and see the beaches and find some cute little eateries and shops and maybe go on down to Ogunquit? Should we go a bit north and hang out around Boothbay Harbor and Bath? Those both look like cute little towns.

Anything that we just should NOT miss the last day we are there? We will have a rental car. No physical restrictions.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 03:29 AM

Tough question. If you want to do shopping, then southern Maine would be a good choice. There's also the Kittery shopping outlets. But if you want a relaxing boat ride, I suggest Portsmouth NH and an inland rivers cruise although harbor is also good. Portsmouth would also offer cute shops and lots of restaurants. For a scenic drive start at Prescott Park and take Rt 1B thru New Castle. You can hop back on I95 back to Freeport. It's fun to stop at When Pigs Fly bakery on Rt 1 in Kittery and Stonewall Kitchens for free samples. Stonewall also offers cooking "classes" which are full meals while you watch chef demo.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 10:05 AM

If you are flying out of Portland, you might want to take the mail boat out to the islands from there. Great place for lobster, just a bit south at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth.