One day in Denver

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 07:14 AM
amy

One day in Denver

Okay we've got a trip planned to Boulder and Breckenridge in late March, but we're going to have one day at the end of our trip to spend in Denver. We'll probably arrive in the morning, and we'll be spending the night at the airport Marriott since our flight leaves EARLY the next morning. Does anyone have any "can't miss" spots in Denver that we should see in the few hours we have there? Restaurants? Neat parts of town? We're not looking for museums (we live in DC and have gotten our fill!) Thanks in advance.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:46 AM
gb

On the west side of the city, stop at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. If the weather is nice you can walk along Dinosaur Ridge. Go to lunch at the Fort Restaraunt nearby. Drive up to Lookup out Mountain for a view. Stop in the Buffalo Bill Musuem(Not a traditional museum, more a small private collection of Western memorabilla). Drive down the north side of Lookout Mountain for an interesting perspective and visit the Coors Brewery tour. Downtown Denver is pretty active in the daytime. If it is open you can walk to the top of the Capital Dome and see a great view of the city. The Botanic Gardens is a nice stop in the early spring. Downtown has a pedestrian mall with nice restaurants.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Emily

Amy, go to Laramer Square/16th Street mall. Great eateries and good shopping. Hopefully the mall will have their buskers (street performers) out and entertaining.
If you have a sweet tooth, visit the Cream Puffery in Boulder. They have extremely high quality/creative desserts and exotic Cuban coffees to go with. Dinner at Matao's (sp?)will give you top notch French food at low, low prices (my lobster ravioli was exploding with lobster for $15!).
Have fun...

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:27 PM
Connie

I'd drive up to Rocky Mountain National Park and take the drive over to the west side. That would be a nice day trip.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:16 AM
xxx

Home of the "Unsinkable Molly Brown" of the Titanic and movie fame. Sorry, but I don't remember the address.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Elaine

I live in Denver. If you only have one day, I'd go to the Larimer Square/LoDo (for Lower Downtown) area, park there and then explore. LoDo is not a large area and used to be old historic buildings that had fallen into disrepair....until Coors Field (home of the Colorado Rockies Baseball team) was built. Now it is the hot spot in town....old buildings converted to very expensive lofts, great restaurants, galleries, bars, etc. Most of this is on or around Blake Street with Coors Field on the northern end. From LoDo, it is a short walk to the Larimer Square area. This is also an historic area....only a block long...with shops, restaurants, etc. From there, walk east up 16th Street....a pedestrian mall all the way with a free shuttle bus. This will take you very near to the historic Brown Palace Hotel to the north..17th Street...and you will see the Colorado State Capitol building to the south. There are shops, restaurants, and all that in this area as well. Should you change your mind about museums, across the street from the Capitol is the excellent Denver Art Museum, and across from that is the very interesting Denver Public Library, which was designed by Michael Graves.
This should keep you busy for several hours. Going to The Fort is a great idea. It is in the Morrison area, which is sort of southwest of Denver. It is very famous, expensive, but incredibly unique with buffalo, wild game, elk and very interesting dishes that you won't find anyplace else. It's where out-of-towners like to go for the real Colorado dining experienc. A few years ago, when the Summit of the Eight economic summit was held in Denver, that's where the world leaders dined. Have a great time! Bring a jacket. You never know when a spring snow storm will hit!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Betsy

I spent a few days in Denver last year, and I had one of the best meals of my life in Mizuna. The macaroni and cheese is to die for; I just wish they served it in bigger portions!

Denver is a great city; Elaine certainly knows more than I do, and I agree about LoDo. It's a lot of fun to stroll around in the pedestrian only zone; it reminded me a bit of Paris.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Amy

Thanks for all of the recommendations! Now we've got tons of options for our day in Denver. Now we've just got to figure out what to pack! I checked weather.com today and it's 25 degrees in Breckenridge and 55 in Boulder... I guess we've just got to expect everything as far as weather goes.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:05 PM
David

Amy,

All of these suggestions are good but I would add two things:

1. The Fort is not open for lunch (dinner only and quite an experience!)

2. If you end up hanging around downtown (all of Elaine's suggestions are great) visit the Denver Aquarium as well. It's quite unique and, due to it's current finacial situation, probably won't be around for your next visit. Have fun!

David S.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Les

Amy,
I also live in Denver (well, Littleton actually), and regarding David's suggestion about the aquarium, bear in mind that it's in dire financial straits for a good reason. If you've seen ANY other aquarium, you can safely skip this one.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Betty

Amy, I'm afraid I disagree with Les. I have been to the Monterrey aquarium and the Long Beach Aquarium and although they ARE better overall, The Denver aquarium is different and unique. It has tigers and a really wonderful layout and ambience with some great exhibits. I think it's well worth a visit and a shame that Denver isn't doing more to support it.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 02:35 PM
mms

I agree with the above poster - the Ocean Journey aquarium truly is a unique aquarium. It only takes about two hours to visit. I love the story it tells as you travel from the High Colorado Mountains to Baja California. The Malasia exhibit taking you from the rain forest to the sea is also wonderful.

Rocky Mountain National park is wonderful to visit in the Winter/Spring expecially if you like to snowshoe - You can rent snowshoes about anywhere in the village. Without the crowds - it is about my favorite time to visit. However, unlike one of the posters above suggested - you will not be able to drive to the western side of the Park. Trail Ridge road is closed until Memorial Day.

It was 60 degrees on the front range today. Of Course, it was below zero two days just two weeks ago - In Colorado you never know what kind of weather you will get from hour to hour. Last Friday, it was nearly 60 at 10:00 am. We had a massive and quick blizzard between 2:00 and 4:00 - the white-out was so bad that many businesses (including the College where I work) closed at 3:00 pm. The sun came out at 4:00- but the temperature just plummeted - I think when the sun went down it was about 10 degrees. You just never know! Bring every type of clothing you have - for skiing and almost sunbathing!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Elaine

I'll echo that! It was 55 here today, and now snow is expected any minute. The word in Colorado is "layer, layer, layer." You just never know...so bring t-shirts, turtlenecks, sweaters, a warm jacket, and even a pair of shorts. You could easily wear all of the above in one 24 hour period! Enjoy!

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Les

WOW! I guess the Denver aquarium lovers are out in force on this forum.
But let me ask, what kind of aquarium needs to import ZOO animals to attract visitors? I may have been outvoted (so far) in this forum, but in the forum of public opinion, the Denver aquarium is being soundly voted down. Wonder why that is?
I still maintain that you can find may better things to do with your day in Denver.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 04:59 PM
me

Can you still take tours at the US Mint? We did that a number of years ago and thought it was really interesting.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 05:03 PM
aaaaaaaaa

If you like Mexican food try the Satire Lounge on Colfax.
I used to live in Denver & this was place had some fantastic food.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Ange

Les,

What's wrong? Does it bother you that some of us actually LIKE the Denver Aquarium and don't wish to see it close? Isn't it okay for different people to have different opinions about the same subject or does everyone have to agree with Les on all his postings?

You don't like the Denver Aquarium, that's fine. Some of us do, isn't that also fine? I happen to think the tiger exhibit there is nothing short of astounding. Where else have you ever seen tigers swimming at eye level? Personally, I haven't witnessed anything like that anywhere--including other aquariums OR even zoos.

IMHO it would be a shame to lose that as well as some of the other special exhibits at this unique venue.

Ange

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Les

Ange,
Please take your meds!
Let me answer your questions one at a time:
1. "What's wrong?" Nothing.
2. "Does it bother you that some of us actually LIKE the Denver Aquarium and don't wish to see it close?" Not at all. Did I say that? However, there are apparently not enough of you to keep it afloat financially, so you would like the rest of us to foot the bill through our taxes. Do we not have any say in this?
3. "Isn't it okay for different people to have different opinions about the same subject or does everyone have to agree with Les on all his postings?"
Actually 2 questions. Yes to the first (although my opinion, the one you say I'm allowed to have, apparently infuriates you), no to the second. Please show me where I said those things.
4. "You don't like the Denver Aquarium, that's fine. Some of us do, isn't that also fine?" Absolutely. Did I say otherwise?
Notice, Ange, that I also asked you several questions in this response. Would you be so kind as to answer them?

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Turly

Les,
I'm not trying to gang up on you but I've read quite a few of your postings and, while informative, you tend to be a bit critical and didactic. Is it not possible to give recommendations either for or against something without dissing others?

For example, in this string your first response is, "regarding David's suggestion about the aquarium, bear in mind that it's in dire financial straits for a good reason. If you've seen ANY other aquarium, you can safely skip this one." Basically, your response to this poster said, " this person doesn't know what their talking about but I do." Wouldn't it have been just as easy to simply say, "personally I don't like the aquarium."

Likewise, you then took umbrage at the responses of those who responded in favor of the aquarium. Again, making it sound as if those who stood up for it didn't have a leg to stand on.

All I'm saying is it's possible to have an opinion without making others wrong.

Peace.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 02:13 PM
ray

Denver street mall is like Paris? Give me a break.

I have been in Denver frequently, and find it to be just another western city. Lotsa cars, lotsa strip malls......

I'd spend the day in Rocky Mountain Park. It is an incredible park. Get back to Denver in time for a nice meal. One of my more enjoyable meals was at the Washington Park Grill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -