Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One day in Atlanta - top things to see and do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to be in Georgia for a meeting at the end of August. I am debating whether I should stay one extra day (extra day would be a Sunday) to see the sights of Atlanta. I've been almost everywhere in the US, but never here. I did some quick research on an Atlanta website - looks like the CNN tour would be fun, possibly the Coca Cola museum, and maybe the Olympic area. Not sure that those activities will fill a day, though. Or even that they are worth doing.

For those of you who have been or who are residents, can you tell me whether it's worth staying over the extra night and if so, what should I try to see?

Thanks!
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

I should add - if the CNN tour is the main "touristy" thing to do - should I just plan on skipping the extra day and heading home Saturday night?
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM

I'd recommend the MLK sites and the Carter Presidential Library. We also like the Chatahootchie Nature Center in Roswell.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Stone Mountain is a neat place. Lots of different things to do there. Also, there is a Six Flags (if you're into that sort of thing).
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:10 AM

We spent 24 hours in Atlanta earlier this month. We did the Atlanta History Museum (highly recommended - spent 4 hours there, including tours of the two houses), CNN tour (interesting - takes about an hour, reserve in advance), olympic park (across the street from CNN - not really much to see) and Zoo Atlanta (an ok zoo - spent about 1-1/2 hours there). There is enough to do to make it worthwhile to stay over.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:25 PM

I live here and enjoyed the CNN center tour and love the History Center and MLK sites. What sort of things do you like to do when traveling? Will you have a car? I would suggest staying another night since you are already here. Its a great city and there are several options for sight seeing.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:01 PM

I am all for the history center... I did that right before I moved away from Atlanta, and now wish I had done it sooner and more often. It is nice!
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:29 PM

Atlanta History Center is the most interesting museum here IMO but we do have a few others that are good and haven't been mentioned. For art, there's the High Museum and Fernbank is for natural history. It also has an IMAX. Fernbank has a great location. The houses nearby are just so 'Driving Miss Daisy'...The author grew up in Druid Hills which is the neighborhood in which it's located. I love driving around there.

If you will have another car, it's also nice to drive and see the mansions in Buckhead. W. Paces Ferry has the Governor's Mansion along w/many other big houses. YOu could easily do that together if you visited ATL History Center b/c it's on W Paces. The Swan Coach House restaurant is on the grounds of the museum and is a good place for a bite to eat.

Oh, there's also the Martha Mitchell House (Gone With the Wind) but have never been there. It's in midtown.

The Coke Museum is a place you probably wouldn't spend more than an hour or hour and a half unless you're into Coke memorabilia. Seems to me kids like it better than adults--they have a fountain at the end of the tour that 'shoot's soda....YOu could easily combine that w/a walk around Underground and a visit to Centennial Olympic Park. (Don't go to Underground at night but it's ok during the day)
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:31 PM

I need to apologize for not proofreading my post above. It's a bit inarticulate That's what insomnia does to a person! Sorry.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:32 AM

we just went for the weekend in july -- we did the coca-cola tour (waste of time) -- cnn tour (it was ok) -- olympic gardesn (not much to see) -- underground atlanta was a nightmare -- went to a braves game (fun)

we stayed in buckhead which i found to be run down..
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:48 AM

I'm sure you've heard the old addage "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there".... well, Atlanta is almost the opposite.... "It's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there"..... humor aside, there are several "attractions" in Atlanta, some already mentioned like the Coke Museum, CNN Tour, MLK (add Sweet Auburn to MLK), Carter Center, Stone Mountain and the History Center in Buckhead. I would add the Cyclorama in Grant Park, a stroll in Piedmont Park, the Capitol building has Georgia exhibits, Oakland cemetery with Margaret Mitchell's grave, and Wren's Nest where Joel Chandler Harris wrote his stories. Keith
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 05:57 AM

I live here and love the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. If you are into that sort of thing, you may want to visit.