One-day Chicago trip

Search

One-day Chicago trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One-day Chicago trip

Friends from Italy will be with us a few days, and they want to take a 1-day trip to Chicago! We're all (5 of us) going by train. We will arrive in Chicago at 10:30 in the morning on the Illinois Zephyr and will have until just before 6pm before that same train will take us back home. We plan to do two major things. One is the Chicago River Architecture Cruise (the good one) and the other is a visit to the Art Institute. I'm quite sure this is do-able. I really wish we'd had one night in the city, but that isn't going to happen. I just hope my Italian friends get enough of a taste of the windy city to want to return sometime in the future. I've already got the train tickets. IF one of the group cannot go along, I can get a refund minus 10%. Not too bad.

Question: Are there any special exhibits going on at the Art Institute that would cause us to have a problem getting tickets? We'll going on June 24th. I've checked the web site and it does not appear that there is a big exhibit that makes tickets hard to get. I'll get the tickets a day or two before we go. There's a slight chance one of the group will not be able to join the rest of us, and I don't know if I can get a refund on an unused AI ticket. We'll know who is/is not going by the day or two before the trip.

As far as the river cruise goes, we'll try for the 11:30 am cruise, which will give us nearly one hour from our arrival by train, to maybe get a glimpse of Michigan Avenue before hopping on the boat. I'll book the boat trip a day or two before we go. I'll be watching the weather for that one, but we can ride inside the boat in case of rain. Granted, the view is probably not as good from the inside as it is on the upper/outer deck.

Thoughts? It'll be hectic, no doubt. We'll also want a nice lunch somewhere handy to the AI.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 01:51 AM

"We will arrive in Chicago at 10:30 in the morning on the Illinois Zephyr and will have until just before 6pm before that same train will take us back home."

Actually the ETA into Union Station is 10:40 a.m.

And, realistically, that's probably not the case. On the incoming side, Amtrak is often late - sometimes by hours. You are not allowing extra time for any delays - and that is a big mistake. It appears that you aren't allowing for the time you have to wait in line to board (recommended 30 minutes). I highly recommend that you not book the CAF River Cruise any earlier than 1:00 p.m. (and that may be optimistic). The cruise itself is 90 minutes in length, but then you have to allow for disembarking the boat and for getting to the Art Institute (at least 20-30 minutes, if you take a cab, more for a bus because of wait times for it).

If you do get in on time, you can always go for an early lunch.

On the return side, the train leaves at 5:55 p.m. from Chicago Union Station. That means that you have to be back at Union Station by no later than 5:25 p.m. to board. And that means you have to leave from wherever you are no later than 4:45-5:00 p.m. because you will be in the middle of rush hour traffic.

I could be wrong (and I hope for your sake I am) but I think you'll probably have something like 4.5 to 5.0 hours total here in Chicago. At least 2 hours of that will be dedicated to the CAF River Cruise, another 1.25-1.50 hours for travel between the attractions, leaving maybe an hour or a little more for the Art Institute. (Less if you have lunch somewhere.)

If you are going to an exhibit at the Art Institute, it will be a timed entry.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Exiled,
I've taken the Illinois Zephyr numerous times, and only once in all these years was it late. Yes, 10:40 is the actual arrival time in the city. I'm really not going to get frazzled about the train possibly being late. It's the west coast trains that run late nearly everyday on their way to Chicago. The Illinois Zephyr runs only in Illinois.

If I were a first-timer doing this one-day Chicago run I might get panicked from your post. I've done it too many times to get panicked. We'll have a great time (if the weather cooperates). Thanks for your reply anyway. And no, we are not intending to see any special timed entry exhibits... just an overall view of the Art Institute, since my Italian friends have never been before.

Now, about lunch. I'm thinking something along the south side of the river, along Michigan Avenue, on our way to the Art Institute from the river cruise.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Sounds like a fun (and busy) day to me. Your guests will love your choices. Did you consider Art Institute first and then the river cruise? I'm wondering because there is a nice cafe at the Art Institute and you could spend 60-90 minutes at AI, then go to the cafe, see some more and then walk or cab up to the river for the cruise. After the cruise you could walk down Wacker 9or take a Wendella boat taxi back to Union Station.

Enjoy.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Sounds like a great day! We do Amtrak (Hiawatha) day trips into Chicago from Milwaukee frequently and have not been troubled by late trains. (Not saying it doesn't happen -- I know it does -- just hasn't been our experience.) We enjoy the Park Grill at Millenium Park. It's a fun way to experience Millenium Park, and just a few steps from the Art Institute. Have a great time -- I'm sure your guests will enjoy the experience!
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice replies, bk123 and ChiDad. I actually like the idea of the AI first. I think that's a good idea. Thanks for that suggestion. I've been to the AI, but it has been years ago. My DH and I went to a special Monet exhibit waaaaaay back when. I knew tickets were time sensitive, that's why I was looking for information on any special exhibits that might mean a long line to get in next Thursday. Hopefully not.

Both lunch options sound good. We'll pick one or the other, but will decide on the spur of the moment.

I am hoping for a little time to walk down Mich Ave or maybe into the Loop.

I'm glad you two think my day is do-able (as do I) and that I've selected a couple of good options for us.

Thank you!

Carol
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM

I second the Park Grill. It's between your two destinations and is a great location for people watching and seeing Millenium Park as it sits "under" the Bean. The Gage is good as well-right on Mi Ave across from the AI and Millenium Park if that menu appeals to you more.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM

The big special ex. at the Art Institute is the Matisse show that closes June 20th. I saw it last week and it was wonderful (it's going to MOMA next), but it doesn't look like there is a big show while you are there, which will help with your jam-packed day.

And I "3rd" the Park Grill, which can be busy. Looks like they take reservations on line...http://www.parkgrillchicago.com/
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:16 PM

just wanted to say we travel to Chi often on the Zephyr and not late much. You might skip breakfast and have something light or just coffee on the train then go directly down Michigan Ave to Banderas, a lovely lunch place just down from the Tribune on same side of street, maybe three to four blocks down and upstairs. Sign is hard to spot so might need to ask. Get window seat and people watch on michigan ave. Also the cruise is great. You may have time for cocktail at Signature Rm 90th something floor at Hancock bldg. Another option for lunch is the old Marshall Fields store. the architecture there is wonderful as well as lunch in the big restaurant. Dont forget Garrett Popcorn to munch on on the ride home. Pecan Crisp carmel corn is my fav. I wont leave Chi without it! Be prepared to run or exercise whatever way you do the next few days. Its HIGH cal!! Locations at several places. Google it!
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Lunch at Fields sounds tempting, as does the Park Grill! Too many places, so little time. We used to go to the Walnut Room (I think that is the name of it) at Fields and it always felt special. Now that the place is Macy's, it just isn't the same IMO.

Anyway, I'm loving all of these great suggestions. The Park Grill does sound like a good location, and I do love people watching. I hate to commit to a reservation, as we don't really know how long we'll be in the AI, or what time we will cruise the river.

I would assume hats with brims for the architecture cruise, to try to keep some of the sun off! Wished I'd had one the last time I did this tour. I really don't want to have to sit inside if we can help it, but at least two of us don't care that much for the sun!

We will need to head to the train station by about 5:15-5:20 at the latest, but maybe we can squeeze in a view from the top of the Hancock...??? Would love a quick stroll down MiAve. We'll see... we'll play it by ear, I suppose, but it's great to have everyones' suggestions.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM

The Walnut Room is pretty much the same even though the store is now Macy's -- they even have some of Fields' old-time favorites on the menu. The food just isn't that great, however, and I feel like it's more of a wintertime venue. It's nice and festive with the big Christmas tree, etc., but a little barren at other times of the year. On a beautiful summer day (which is what I hope you'll have), I'd much rather be in a sunnier, brighter location like the Park Grill.

I second Garrett's popcorn, btw. Yum! Definitely a Chicago favorite, and something they don't have in Italy!
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

bk123, thanks for that info on Macy's version of the Walnut Room. Yes, Christmas time, with the big tree, was always special there.

Sounds like the Park Grill would really be the best choice for us for lunch. Hopefully we can get in and out relatively quickly, since we'll have places to go!

A beautiful summer day is exactly what we want!
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 11:49 PM

"If I were a first-timer doing this one-day Chicago run I might get panicked from your post."

Well, I wasn't trying to create a "panic" here, but just trying to assist you. I still say you are way too optimistic in your scheduling. 11:30 a.m. cruise (that's when it departs, not when it boards) You are giving yourself ZERO amount of extra time of in case of a delay.

Think about it:

If the train is on time (10:40 a.m.), it takes at least 10 minutes to get out of Union Station from the track. 10:50 a.m. (Hopefully, no one will need to use the facilities first.)

It takes at the very least (if you take a cab) 15-20 minutes to get to the boarding vicinity for the CAF River Cruise. Remember this is not at street level, you have to descend flights of stairs to get there. 5 minutes for that. 11:10-11:15 a.m.

If you need to pick up your tickets at the "Will Call" window, that's perhaps another 5-10 minutes in line. 11:15-11:25 a.m.

And 5 minutes to get to the boarding area and board. 11:30 a.m.

See what I mean? ZERO extra time.

Just remember, if you miss that boat, there are no refunds or exchanges. You are out that money. And I'm sure you don't want that. That's why I am urging you to add some extra time into your schedule.

BTW, I often take the Amtrak's Hoosier State. This only runs between Indianapolis and Chicago, so it's a lot less of a trip than yours. This train is often late at least on one leg of the journey. Once it was over 6 hours late (on a 2.5 hour trip). What causes the delays are usually the train traffic, but sometimes mechanical difficulties or an accident.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 06:35 AM

I'll second exiledprincess on this one, even if the train is perfectly on time, which it may well be. The logistics are not necessarily simple here -- her description of distances and procedures is spot-on.

There is indeed some definite distance between Union Station and the River Cruise embarkation point. It's a good-sized walk for sure, and you might be able to take an el here, but it won't be all that efficient timing-wise. A cab is definitely your best bet, assuming you don't run into traffic on the way.

There's also indeed a good-sized down staircase from the street to the ticket booth and pier.

All may indeed go like clockwork on timing here, but all you need is one breakdown in the chain to louse things up. If it were mine, I'd allow a little extra time, but it's not up to me here.

I dunno, simpsonc510 -- how much stock do you place in Murphy's Law?

I definitely will echo exiledprincess's experience on Amtrak's Cardinal line, which runs between New York and Chicago via Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Charleston WV, and Philadelphia. The two times I took it, it was horribly, ridiculously late, and that seems to be the norm here. The Zephyr may indeed be different -- note that The City of New Orleans, which runs between Chicago and New Orleans, is normally on time, and that was my experience with it (between Memphis and Jackson MS).
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Bach and exiled... I appreciate your concerns. I really do.
If I were a 'plan every minute' person (which I'm NOT... far from it in fact) I would take your input(s) very seriously. I may even opt to forget about trying to do this trip!! I am one of the most flexible and patient people you would ever chance to meet. (I taught 6-year olds how to read for 33 years, after all) Anyway, I'm not going to be riled, no matter what!! DH and I have learned over these many many years that 'travel is an adventure' and we never expect everything to run like clockwork. There is always a Plan B, C, D in the back of our heads.

Anyway, IF the train is late (and as I've said, it was only late once in my many years of taking this trip...and I drove to CHI instead, because I had a hair appt at Sassoon that I did not want to miss) then we will go to a Plan B sort of situation. We may even drive instead of waiting, if the train is more than 45-60 minutes late. We'll know what to expect when we get to the station in the morning.

My car knows the way to Chicago without my input... lol as I've made the drive (and the train ride) very frequently. I used to go to haircut appts every 4 weeks at Sassoon for years so I've done this by train and car a lot. This is no new experience for me. Far from it.

We've known our friends from Italy for many years. We've done 1-day walking tours of ROME with them, (think 5 miles or more) in all sorts of weather, so I think we can certainly undertake a much shorter look at Chicago. It will be fun, I'm certain. It may be an adventure with a Plan B or even a Plan C!!! That remains to be seen.

Murphy's Law... SURE!!! Bring it on!

Oh, almost forgot... the one other time I did the architecture cruise was from the train station, and I'm almost certain me made the 11:30 boat. When we all arrived at the train station (separate trains, separate arrival times.. my train was last one in) we had not yet decided what we (a group of girlfriends who used to all teach together years ago) were going to do. We started walking from the train station and I came up with the idea of the cruise. The others all agreed, so we thought we would go and check it out. Our walk to the river was not hurried in any sense. We did not have advance tickets, so we had to get in line. We still made that cruise, no problem. Then we did lunch, and then we did some shopping along Mich Av before heading back to the train station by about 5:15 or so. This was not a hectic day at all. Loads of fun. There was no Plan A to start us out. (I rather like things that way)

Carol
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Just a quick thought...

The sunhat is an excellent idea...Sunhats are my best friends in the sunny, hot weather.

Just be sure it is tight or has a chin strap (don't laugh). Even if it's not windy or breezy out, there is a breeze on the boat.

I just speak from personal experience...don't let your hat blow away!

Have a wonderful time!!

My friends from Italy get a huge kick out of Chicago - especially our American/Chicago foods such as the Chicago hot dog.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Um... I doubt we'll be doing Chicago dogs this trip (but, yes they are excellent). We will have had a huge cookout the night before (weather permitting) with steaks and salad and all the trimmings so no one is going to want a very heavy lunch, I don't think. We will do a light breakfast before boarding the train, as what they have to offer on board leaves a lot to be desired IMO. It's not the same menu as the long distance trains.

When we ride the train into Rome from Orvieto with these same friends, we have coffee and pastry in the station and eat nothing on the train. Our friends think the pastry at the station is some of the best available. The coffee there is also good!

I'm going to make sure I bring along some sun hats, Gina! Glad I thought of that. I'm not sure about the ties though.. I'll have to take a look at what I have. Thanks for that bit of info. Yes, the boatride can be a bit windy. Wondering if lightweight scarves might also protect the head and face and neck? Easier to throw in a bag for the day. I have loads of cotton scarves from the markets in Bangkok! This would be a good use for them maybe ... at least for the women in the group. Hats for the men.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Between the boat cruise and the AI you should be sure to walk through at least part of Millenium Park (just north of AI). It really is a remarkable piece of civic planning and should impress anyone.
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 04:07 PM

And if you are looking for a light bite to eat between AI and cruise there is a location of the chain Caffe Baci on Michigan Avenue just south of Randolph (so just north of AI and across from Millenium Park). It's an upscale Italian deli with sandwiches, salads, pizza, etc. The decor is light and bright and there is also outdoor seating. We had a nice lunch there on Sunday last.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:26 PM

another great place to eat near the AI is the Gage @ 24 S. Michigan Ave. it's upscale comfort food and has a great bar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -