Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

On the Rocky Mountaineer, redleaf or gold?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking into this as an option on our trip. Gold is about twice the price as red. But the service is so much more. At least with the gold you can walk around and change your seats. But is it worth the $$$? It sounds like first class on the plane versus economy.

Or should we just drive it? Vancouver to Banff?

Heavens
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

PS Would teenagers like the railroad? Or is it too long and boring for them?

That is why I am thinking driving it would be better option?

Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Are you suggesting teenagers would be LESS bored in the back seat of a car than on a train? I would think it would the opposite, by far!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Well, mainly thinking that you can stop when you want. Drive where you want. Not be in ONE seat, place for eight hours a day. More flexibility.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:21 AM
jor

Oh Heavens! I've traveled thousands of miles by train and have never been confined to a seat for 8 hours a day. A train is a two block long mall on wheels. Teenagers can ditch their parents for hours on end. \/
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Oh, yes, the train! that's the travel mode of choice my sister and her husband take when they can for their 4 year old--because she can wander around and not be confined to a car seat.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

So, are you guys saying that if we chose to go red leaf that we would still be able to roam around on the train? Or is it only the gold leaf level that gives you this flexibility?

If I read it right, the red leaf serves you your meals at your seat, so you don't move elsewhere in order to eat your meals. You just stay in your assigned seats. But I have only been on Amtrak and that was a few years ago.

Heavens
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM

I've certainly never heard of a train that made you stay in your seat. Just because they serve the meal to you at your seat, certainly shouldn't mean you're not free to roam around.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:07 PM

We took the Rocky Mountaineer a few years back. The advantage to gold leaf is the difference in service AND you get the overhead panoramic windows with the views and a difference in seating, similar to first class in an airplane--larger, roomier, more comfortable seats, plus a guide/steward/server. When we took it, there was silver and gold leaf, both were served first class meals, but gold leaf had a dining car. We took silver leaf and were served at our seats. Everyone can get up and walk around. Right behind the silver leaf car was an open air deck to stand on the back of the train. If I recall, passengers from the "coach" section, if you will, were permitted to walk through, but I don't recall that being excessive by any means. The section of the train ride from Banff to Kamloops was very scenic, but the section from Kamloops to Vancouver was different--it actually resembled a desert to some degree. I also recall the food being excellent and the two guides/stewards in silver leaf explained history and various other trivia facts. Also, I remember they sold optional tickets on the train to a native show for the evening in Kamloops that we passed on--we opted for dinner in our hotel. I do recall others going and not having a lot of good to say about it. Overall it was enjoyable.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:18 PM
jor

Oh Heavens, Why are you being so negetive??? They are not going to strap you down to your seat and force feed you every 8 hours. What are you thinking? The dining car has tables for only a fraction of the people on the train. Everyone else is served at their seats. Just pretend the servants are coming to you instead of you having to go to them.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:51 PM

We have also done the Rocky Mountaineer trip - Gold Leaf - and loved it. However, although you are certainly not tied to your seat there really is not that much room to move around - the carriages - Gold at least - are not huge, and from memory there was not a lot of moving about happening. You certainly can go out on to the open area, but that is all.
We found it was well worth while paying the extra and enjoyed it all immensely - even the Show at Kamploops!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Forgot to add that the seats are assigned at the beginning of the trip and you were not encouraged to swop them.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Took the trip Vancouver to Banff a few years ago too with my 80 year old father and 15 year old daughter. My experience was much like hugglynn. We were not in the premium class, everything was wonderful (food, guide, etc.), but I couldn't help feeling that the Gold Leaf service may have been worth it just for the panoramic observation car. Mountain vistas aren't quite as overwhelming always looking out the side.

We skipped the show in Kamloops and didn't seem to miss it.

One thing we can highly recommend: take the train Vancouver to Banff and take the optional rental car add-on. We did, and had the best of both worlds: a guided tour into the mountains and shared time togther, and some driving time on our own up to Jasper.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:18 AM
kkj

Since this train runs in Canada, don't you think you should post this question in the Canada forum? It would stand to reason that more people who are familiar with the train would be able to answer.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

I did post something similar in Canada, but this forum seems to get a lot more traffic.

Guess what. Now we are not sure what we are going to do. We think that the kids aren't gonna be that wild about Canada. Sightseeing just isn't their cup of tea. We are now thinking about HI. Or something else.

Honestly, all they want to do is go sit on the beach in San Diego with their friends. That would be just fine for them. Boring for us.

So, we still have a little time to figure it out.

So, I ask you, where is it that teenagers like to go? Disneyworld. YUK.

Heavens
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Heavans, the train ride is two days out of a vacation of what - aweek or two? There's enough to do that's cool and different on the train that the kids won't get bored. I would agree that driving between the two spots could be hard on restless kids so the Rocky Mountineer is a great idea.

And both Vancouver and Banff are very kid & teen friendly. Vancouver is a big cosmopolitan city with all the big city attractions plus great beaches, (some clothing optional), mile high mountains with swinging suspension bridges, massive malls and kid & teen friendly entertainment spots all within the city.

Banff is admitedly more of an outdoor experiance but I've never heard that it's boring. Calgary is an hour away and has Calaway Park and Pioneer park with rides and entertainment if the 'natural stuff' gets too mind numbing.

Anyhow it's an opportunity for your kids to expand their horizons. After Canada maybe Europe will be next.