On the Ave Hotel Report

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 08:18 AM
sheri

On the Ave Hotel Report

I'm just back from NYC, where I stayed at the new On the Ave Hotel at 77th and Broadway. The price was certainly right at $165/night, and I loved the location (I used to live on the Upper West Side, so it was fun to be back in my old neighborhood). The rooms are small, but clean and comfortably furnished, even a bit stylish. The bathroom was particularly nice. I had a corner room on the 9th floor (909), which had a view toward Central Park and the Museum of Natural History. My only complaints about the hotel are related to the fact that their renovation is still ongoing, which was not clear from their website (stayinny.com), nor did they mention it when I made the reservation. The hallways are unfinished, and they are still doing construction on the upper floors, so there was lots of noise during the day. Also, the elevator service was excrutiatingly slow. If the price stays the same after their renovation is completed, I would stay there again, but not if it goes up significantly.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about this hotel.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 12:21 PM
dawn

Thank you for your report of On the Ave - I was considering booking a room in January. I got a rate of $99 from somewhere on the internet and was considering it over some others because the pictures made it look nice and the price was amazing. I don't mind small rooms, but I don't want to deal with construction when I'm on vacation.
How safe and easy it for a single woman to find her way around in this area? I'm more familiar with the Village from when I lived there 12 years ago (I rarely ventured past 39th St). Are there any special amenities like fitness center, breakfas,etc?

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 01:35 PM
sheri

At $99, I would definitely put up with the amount of construction that was going on! You might want to call the hotel--by January, they may be finished.

I felt perfectly safe walking around by myself as late as 1 AM on Broadway--there were always plenty of people around. And I loved being so close to the park.

No breakfast or fitness center--althought I think I saw a reference to getting passes to a local gym in the hotel guide.

Old Feb 24th, 2000, 07:53 PM
Michelle

Hi Sheri,
I just found your report on On The Ave Hotel. My husband & I are planning a trip to NYC from NZ in May and I am very interested in staying at this hotel - the pictures on their website look great. My only concern was it's location, is it close to Midtown Manhattan? Would it take us long to get to Times Square & the Theater District? Also, is there a tv in the room and is there airconditioning? Would you suggest trading up to a king size room from a double room? The rate that I have been quoted for a standard double room is $115, so I guess you can't go wrong with that!
I look forward to your reply. Thanks!

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 06:11 AM
Beth

Hi Michelle,

On The Ave is on the upper west side at 77th, which puts it some 35+ blocks from Times Square. It is 2 blocks from the subway, so it shouldn't take too long to get to the theater district that way, or you can always take a cab. There was a TV in the room, with cable. I was there in February, so I only tried out the heater, but there did seem to be A/C as well. I was in a standard double, which was pretty small, just a single double bed, 1 chair and desk, and a small closet. I didn't see the larger rooms though, so I can't judge if it would be worth it to trade up. I was by myself and only stayed one night so I didn't have much stuff, but it seemed like there wasn't much storage space or anywhere to put luggage.

Old Feb 25th, 2000, 06:11 AM
sheri

Hi Michelle, the hotel is about 35 blocks from Times Square. If you walk down from the hotel to 72nd Street and take the express subway, you'll could be in Times Square as quickly as 5-10 minutes later. I personally would much rather stay in a real residential NY neighborhood than in midtown (but I'm biased because I used to live on the Upper West Side). Plus, for me, being within walking distance of Central Park just can't be beat.

Yes, the room had a TV; I can't speak to a/c, since we were there in November, but I believe it did (why don't you email the hotel to be sure?).

My corner room had a queen size bed, and I believe it was categorized as "deluxe" rather than "standard" but I can't remember for sure. It wasn't large, by any means, but it was comfortable.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 07:19 PM
Michelle

Beth/Sheri,
Thanks very much for your responses. It sounds like 'On The Ave' is the place to stay, especially since I'm looking for real NY experience (rather than a tourist experience) during our stay. Thanks again!

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 07:52 AM
J Hoelzel

We stayed at On the Ave. this past weekend and agree with the previous positngs. The bathrooms are very nice ,beds comfortable, hotel is quiet and the rooms "New York" small but very adequate. The location is great. Our Quickbook price was $99, which is tremendous.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 11:56 PM
greg

i've just returned from new york and having stayed at "on the ave" for two nights followed by the "comfort inn at central park west" for five nights, i'd like to contribute with the following observations:
1. price - i booked each of them through hoteldiscounts.com at $99/night for both. i booked the additional nights with on the ave since comfort inn was booked solid.
2. location - on the ave is located on west 77th and broadway. comfort inn is on west 71st between columbus and central park west. on the ave was much noisier with the traffic. comfort inn is about 150 feet from the local train stop. i feel the comfort inn is in a much prettier location in a neighborhood of low level brownstones and where residents walk their dogs.
3. size and style - on the ave is much more roomier and stylishly modern. water pressure, air conditioning, and tv station selections favor on the ave. comfort inn is small but cozy and includes continental breakfast. each is clean and have friendly hotel staffs.
4. construction - each is undergoing some renovation. but, it never interfered in any way with my stay.
5. to summarize - if i had to choose among the two for my next stay in nyc, price and bed size being equal. i would choose the comfort inn at central park west. my fiance and i very much enjoyed our stay there. upon returning each night, it really felt like we were nyc residents among the brownstone homes across the street and adjacent. it's closer to the train stop than the one for on the ave. plus, it was very peaceful in the room and within the neighborhood. no traffic, honks and sirens like on broadway. anyway, the decision is yours. good luck.