Reload this Page >

Wine Country what it seems?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 12:04 PM
Cassie

Hello everyone. My fiance and I are looking for a honeymoon destination. We are on a bit of a budget (i.e. US destination). We want a place that isn't touristy, is relaxing, and secluded. We will be going during the 2nd week of October. I have been researching the Wine Country and it seems to meet the above criteria--although perhaps a bit pricey. However, there seems to be a lot of mention of crowds. Will this be a problem in October? Is this a good idea? HELP!

Cassie

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 12:09 PM
Diane

Sonoma is far less crowded than Napa (and I think it is much prettier, too). It would be a lovely time. Healdsburg is a very cool little town. You might also want to head to the coast up there. It is gorgeous and not as expensive as Big Sur.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Tom

Santa Fe is also a romantic place with great southwestern dining. ate my way through the town (don't miss the Shed for lunch). nice side trip is through madrid (on the back way from the albuquerque airport to santa fe).

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 03:19 PM
Caitlin

I second Diane's recommendation of Sonoma over Napa--less crowded, less touristy, prettier--and especially to try the north coast, around Mendocino. In October it won't be warm, but I guarantee you, you can have a relaxing, secluded, romantic time. Many wonderful B&Bs and inns.

Several years ago, my boyfriend and I had a wonderful romantic weekend at the Albion River Inn near Mendocino. Private or duplex cottages with fireplaces, CD players (for those private dances), huge bathtubs, a complimentary half bottle of wine each day, private decks with Adirondack chairs overlooking meadows and the ocean (all the rooms have ocean views), and an excellent restaurant. Very relaxing and secluded, very solicitous service--I bet if you tell them it's your honeymoon, they'll do something special for you. We drove the short way to the quaint town of Mendocino for a meal at the renowned Cafe Beaujoulais, as well. Check out the Albion River Inn's website for inspiration and details: www.albionriverinn.com.

If wineries are on your agenda, you can start in SF and drive up via Healdsburg and surrounds, and visit wineries on your way.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 03:29 PM
Kal

Hello, another vote for Sonoma...We've stayed at the Sonoma Hotel B&B right off the town square...Excellent meal at Della Santina's...October should not be too crowded...If you like bike riding or hot air balooning or just cruising in a car, the Sonoma and Napa Valleys are for you...Stop at all of the small towns along the way...Oakville Mkt for a few good cookies while you drive...I've been to Santa Fe and while it is beautiful, it was a bit expensive...It is on my "go back" list, tho...We try to get to Napa/Sonoma every chance we get...
Have fun...Kal

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 04:14 PM
Debbie C

Congrats!

We did our honeymoon in Napa/Sonoma in October 1997. It was heavenly. We, too, were concerned when we heard of massive crowds, but it really was a non-issue. We were there for 9 romantic days and avoided the "top spots" on the weekends. We stayed in Yountville, Sonoma, and Calistoga which was great to explore different inns and towns. You can make the trip "budget minded" by loading up on deli items and doing what we preferred: Picnics! and by doing the majority of wine tasting in Sonoma (mostly complimentary tastings). There are some tourist traps you should not avoid: Viansa Winery, Culinary Institute, and a tour by Domaine Chandon, Rutherford Hills, and Clos Pegase. Our honeymoon website is loaded with links and our top picks....I invite you to visit it at www.sarong.com/honeymoon.htm
Please email me if you have more questions.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 04:27 PM
kam

Cassie, If it fits your budget, the Madrona Manor in Healdsburg is the perfect honeymoon destination. We spent our 30th anniversary there. It's a lovely Victorian near the town of Healdsburg which is in the Sonoma Valley wine area. I really think Napa is too crowded and commercial for a honeymoon. As others have said, Mendocino is great with lots of small romantic inns in little towns. The Inn at the Tides in Bodega Bay is one, Agate Cove B&B in Mendocino another,St. Orres in Gualala (that's pronounced wa-la-la), or the North Coast Country Inn also in Gualala. This gives new meaning to relaxing and secluded. Lots of things to do, but plenty of time to spend with each other as well. Beautiful coast and as someone else said, not as expensive as Big Sur coast. The second week of October should be picture perfect weather. You might also think about Yosemite(getting a bit cold by then) or Lake Tahoe (even more cost effective to rent a condo for a week). You could look at Santa Barbara as well,but again, I think that's too commercial for a honeymoon. Congratulations. Let us know what you decide.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 04:40 PM
Kathy

Congratulations! What a great time of year for a honeymoon! As much as I love the Napa Valley, it is apt to be crowded that time of year because, depending on the weather, it might be harvest time. Sonoma is less crowded--have you considered Glen Ellen which is quite close to the village of Sonoma? We stayed at the Gaige House in Glen Ellen last summer and loved it--be sure and check out their website. You might also want to do a couple of days on the Mendocino coast--VERY spectacular. If you go from Glen Ellen to Santa Rosa, go through Bennett Valley and stop at Matanzas Creek Winery. Then take Hwy. 101 to Cloverdale where you'll take 128 over to the coast. Hwy. 128 goes through the Anderson Valley--some great wineries along the route are Greenwood Ridge, Roederer (the US branch of the famous French sparkling wine producers), Navarro, Husch and Handley Cellars. There is a WONDERFUL oceanfront lodging, Cypress Cove, with a view of Mendocino Village (quaint, New England-style from the latter part of the 1800s) as well as a forest setting--The Hayloft. Check out www.mendocinopreferred.com.
Happy honeymoon! You might want to peruse a copy of the guidebook Best Places to Kiss in Northern California!

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 02:20 AM
Maira

I'd been all over Europe and the United States and the best, most romantic and relaxing vacation of my life was a week I spent in a wonderful B&B in Guernsville, Northern California called The Santa Nella House. Located on the wine trail, next to a redwood trees protected forest, short walk to the Russian River, a few miles from the ocean. It was glorious. All the advice you got so far is fabulous. Congratulations and have the best time!