Search

Omaha Zoo questions....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Omaha Zoo questions....

A few questions about the zoo:

Is 3 hours enough to allot to the zoo? We are a family of 6 with teenagers.

Is the train ride good?

What about the tram ride?

thanks for any tips/advice!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 04:09 AM

The Omaha zoo is wonderful. The Lied Jungle is an indoor rainforest that you walk on a path through - it is incredible. The orangutan and gorillas exhibits are great too.

Three hours is probably enough - we stopped en route to Denver in November and the train and tram weren't running then so I can't comment on them.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:33 AM
yk

3 hours is not enough. We were there in June for 3 hours and saw about 60-70% of the zoo (we left because my in-laws were getting tired, and it was getting very very hot).
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:45 AM

You can have a good time hitting only highlights in 3 hours. I've never tried the rides.

You might also try their drive through Wildlife Safari, south toward Lincoln near the Strategic Air & Space Museum.

Keith
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:22 AM

The Henry Doorly Zoo is a world class zoo and research facility--literally one of the very best anywhere. The highlights include the Lied Jungle, the Desert Dome, the new Gorilla Valley and the Aquarium. Next year (2010) they'll be opening a new major building and exhibit devoted to Madagascar. These exhibits are grouped fairly close together--near the entrance (Desert Dome, Aquarium and Lied Jungle) or just down a short hill (gorillas and madagascar). I'd plan on 3-4 hours to see them--maybe more if the zoo is crowded. Make sure you go early before the crowds. The train and skyfari move you around the perimeter of the zoo and to the back--you won't need to take them if you stick to the major attractions. If you decided to see the rest of the zoo--the more traditional exhibits around the perimeter and the back, plan for a full day of walking up and down hills, and sore feet.

If you have little people with you, there's also a children's petting zoo and merry-go-round area just past the gorilla exhibit.

I have 10 and 14 year old boys. They still love to take at least one trip to the Henry Doorly zoo each year--it's an amazing place!