How to Do--The Omaha Zoo--for Adults

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two fifty-somethings are going to the Omaha Zoo in June 2010. Got any tips or secrets for the best way to view the zoo? We plan on being there when it opens and can spend about five hours. Also, is the Skyfari worth it? Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM

Just was at the Omaha zoo the middle of April. We spent maybe about three hours there. Didn't do the Skyfari, didn't interest me that much. It's like a chair lift and I guess you can look down on some of the animals as you sail over them. I dont' know, you'll have to see if it's something you want to do.

There are trams that you can take to different areas if you get tired of walking. They have a great set up for the Orangatans. They are also doing an intire separate building for the Lemurs. That should be finished by the time you get there. I was disappointed because I think Lemurs are so cute. There were a few to view but the others were obviously being kept some place until the building is done.

They have a good gorilla exhibit too. We got there a bit late so we missed the elephants. There was only one and she was waiting to be let into the building where they spend the night.

It's a pretty nice zoo for a city like that.

On another subject, they have a pretty good food scene also. The old town is loaded with great places. We also had really good sushi some place pretty far from the center of town. My neice is living there while her fiance is in med school at Crieghten, so we just followed her. Sushi in Omaha, who knew? LOL
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM

If you are going to be near the WIldlife Safari, I would do it, but I wouldn't make a special drive out for it. The animals are all from North America.

I think that the SAC Museum near the Safari is much more impressive.

My favorite things at the Henry Doorly Zoo are the Gorilla Valley, Scott Aquarium, Lied Jungle and the Desert Dome with its 30' tall sand dune, hummingbird canyon, 55 ft. tall central mountain and (coolest) subterranean Kingdom of the Night in the level beneath the desert dome.

Keith
Old May 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM

The SAC museum is awsome!!!!!!!! The Wildlife Safari is not that great so if your time is limited, feel free to give it a miss.

The Botanical Gardens are quite nice and the two trains on exhibit above the gardens are really interesting and even more interesting is how they got them up there on the bluff over looking HW 80.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

What is the SAC museum?
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Strategic Air Command...like Cold War stuff. It's really pretty interesting and very well done...highly recommended! As you enter there is an SR-71 Blackbird suspended from the ceiling. 'Nuff said.

I think the OP was inquiring about the zoo and the best way for adults to visit...I think all of my most recent trips were with kids. However, I could sit and watch the penguins for hours at a time...plus it's cool inside and you can usually SIT. You won't have any problem filling five hours if you are "zoo" people (and don't have kids). I have never done the Skyfari, but DD did last summer and just said it was worth it. Really, if you've never been to the Omaha Zoo, I think you will come away very impressed.

I grew up in Omaha and it has matured into a very nice city with nice attractions. The Lauritzen Gardens ARE lovely (and yes, the trains, and how they got there) is a cool story. Also recommend The Durham Museum which is a few miles north of the zoo/botanical garden area. The Joslyn Art Museum is also quite nice. Good restaurant in the Old Market is the Upstream Brewing Company (among others, but I find it to be unique and tasty).