Search

Olympic Peninsula

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Suzie

Olympic Peninsula

Hello!
We’ll be flying to Seattle from Minnesota late Aug. We're staying one night at Lake Quinault Lodge and two nights at Kalaloch Lodge and then have one night open before our last night near the airport for a very early return. We've been to Seattle three times in the last 4 years and made one trip along the Northern side of the O.P. all the way to Cape Flattery.

I can't tell you how much we're really looking forward to the rain forests and Pacific shore! And as much as we love Seattle, we've decided to pass on most of our favorites to have more time on the OP.

We're looking for a place to stay near Sequim our open night. This will give us some additional time along the coast and should get us to Seattle for one last afternoon and evening.

Question 1: How long should it take us to get to Seattle downtown from Sequim? We'd leave early in the morning and are curious about how busy the ferry is from Bainbridge or if there is a better alternative.

Question 2: Recommendations for a nice place to stay near Sequim. We can consider a B&B but not necessary. A wonderful view would be a plus.

Question 3: Recommendations for a place to stay even closer to Seattle.

Question 4: Any activities around Lake Quinault and Kalaloch we shouldn’t miss?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Suzie

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:18 PM
John

Some input on your questions -

Figure an hour from "central" Sequim to the Bainbridge Is. ferry terminal, plus or minus. The ferry takes around 40 min., plus on- and off-load time. Total time is around 2 hours plus any ferry wait (sailings every 45 min. or so most of the day.) After the early morning commuter rush (sailings from 6:30 to around 8) you'll have plenty of room on the boat, most of the passengers are walk-ons, anyway, and the ferries are humongous.

There are a couple of B&B/Cabin type places on the beach at Dungeness, 10 min. north of Sequim. Can't comment on any of them. The Three Crabs restaurant on the bayfront in Dungeness is a favorite of ours, not that the food is that great (except for the cole slaw, go figure) but it's funky and fun nonetheless. Otherwise we view Sequim and surroundings as a place to get through.

You might consider Port Ludlow, a newer development area in a gorgeous setting, a little closer to Seattle. Fairly upscale conference-y sorts of places, but beautiful surroundings. http://www.visitportludlow.com/

On the coast you'll have heard about the Quinault and Hoh valley trails, plus the various beaches closer to Kalaloch. You'll find plenty of things to do.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:23 AM
BTilke

Hi Suzie,
I'm another OP fan, former PT and Sequim resident (but hoping to move back to PT in a few years).
For one night, the Best Western Sequim Bay Lodge is not bad. It's set back from the road in the trees. No view, though, and the restaurant is pretty lame.
I hate the Three Crabs. The service is lousy and rushed; the food was overpriced and just plain bad.
I suggest you try Khu Larb in Port Townsend for dinner. I've lived all over the U.S. and am now in Europe and Khu Larb has the best Thai food I've ever had (outside Thailand). Get their seafood soup and ask them to add some coconut milk to it--you will love it! The best coffee in PT is not at the Pink Rose (although it wins for atmosphere) but at a little place next to the candle shop and movie theatre just off Water Street. In Sequim, the QFC actually has good coffee and friendly service.
One of our favorite beaches in Sequim is reached by turning right at the Les Schwab tire store (near the QFC), take the road down until it dead ends, turn right and go to the beach (after heavy rains--which are pretty rare in Sequim, I admit), it's a great place for fossil hunting and nobody goes there except the locals. Another place to visit is the Purple Haze Lavender Farm (www.purplehazelavender.com for more info).
If you're up early in the morning in Sequim, you'll have a good chance of seeing the route 101 elk herd.
Lucky you--I have to wait til next year to get my OP fix!!
Don't forget, you can get OP news online at www.peninsuladailynews.com or www.sequimgazette.com or www.ptleader.com (I read them all).
BTilke (Brussels)

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 08:58 AM
sheri

There are three B&Bs between Port Angeles and Sequim that might work for you for a nice last night in the area: Colettes, BJ's Garden Gate and Domaine Madeleine (and I'd recommend them in that order). All of them are up on the bluff overlooking the Strait of Juan de Fuca. If you're up for a bit of a splurge, the new suites at Colettes are among the nicest B&B rooms I've ever stayed in (and I've stayed in a lot!).

If you'd prefer to be in a historic town and a bit closer to Seattle, then there are lots of Victorian B&Bs in Port Townsend.

A couple of suggestions for activities on the west side of the Peninsula: the trail from the end of the road near Quinault up to Pony Bridge (about five miles RT); going down the Hoh River in an inflatable kayak (a blast!); the Hoh Rainforest (you can hike the Hoh River trail for miles and get away from any crowds at the visitor center, or for no crowds at all, try the Bogachiel River trail); Rialto Beach and Second Beach out west of Forks.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:05 AM
Suzie

Thanks for the great - detailed info.! You've got me really thinking about it now! I can't wait! Thanks again and if anyone has anymore to add, I'll be checking!