new york city free or cheap.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:19 AM
tom

new york city free or cheap.

going to new york city for a week.first time there and on tight budget.what are free or inexpensive things to do?thanks for any input

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:29 AM
phil

Ride the Staten Island Ferry which is free. The best time to go is Sunset. I highly recommend getting on the boat that also carries cars. Ride in the back as you pull away from the city. The view is spectacular.

On Monday night, go to the free outdoor movie in Bryant Park. Get there by 5, bring a blanket and a picnic dinner.

Watch a Met's game from the platform of the number 7 train at Flushing Meadows.

Go to the free theater performances in the Park. Shows are at the Dellacorte theater in Central Park. Check out the Shakespeare in the Park website for details. While you're at it, spend a day walking around Central Park.

Check the Timeout NY website or magazine for special outdoor performances of the Opera or New York Philharmonic. They usually play in several parts of New York at different points of the summer.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 06:46 AM
thereuare

There are also free lunchtime/evening concerts at the World Trade Center, Mon-Fri, noon-2:00 and then again at 6:00-8:00. Each day is a different style of music, if your interested in a specific day or music type, post here and i'll tell you what day that music plays, or if you have specific dates let me know and i'll post the band.

If you like street performers, you could also catch a "cute" routine or two in Washington Square Park or the South Street Seaport. Another thing if you like exercise/walking, you can walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, then see some of the old brownstone/architecture as you walk thru Brooklyn Heights on your way to the water, to take in the Skyline View.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 08:18 AM
rqf

Purchase of a City Pass for $32 includes visits to the observatory at both the Empire State building and the World Trade Center. Includes admission to the following museums: MOdern Art, Guggenheim, Natural History and Intrepid Sea-Air-space. You save $32. Can be purchased at any of the places mentioned above. LIst dates of your visit and more information can be provided for free musical events. Since you will be in the city for a week purchase a $17 one week Metro Car . Provides unlimited use of subways and buses.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 10:34 AM
G. Kremer

Two co-workers of mine & I went to Lower Manhattan area & we found Soho, Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Battery Park, Staten Island ferry, etc. much more interesting & affordable than expensive & tourist trap Mid-Manhattan.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:48 AM
gab

When you get here, but a copy of Time Out New York from any newsstand. It will cost you $1.50, but inside you'll find lots of things to do for free. It's an excellent resource.

My own recommendation would be to visit Central Park. It doesn't cost anything, and it's fantastic. Check out the Shakespeare Garden.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:24 AM
xxxx

I think most zoos and botanical gardens in the five boroughs have one free day a week. Try to find out about that - i.e. Bronx Zoo, Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, probably some museums too. Also, make sure you get the best deal on the metrocard for the train. For $4.00 you can get a one-day unlimited metrocard "Funpass" (which is only worth it if you get on an off the train more than twice since each ride is normally $1.50)

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:30 AM
IB

I think that many people don't realise the the Metropolitan Museum has 'suggested prices' for entry, but in reality you can pay whatever you can afford, even just $1. Also, the company that you work for may be a corporate sponsorer, which will also give you a discount at the museums that charge a fee.