Olympic National Park etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My upcoming trip to ONP, Mt. Rainier and Seattle is drawing near. Any comments to my last minute questions? I figured out long ago that I can't fit everything in but.....

Day 1: Fly into SEA-TAC and drive to Port Townsend for the night. Any suggestions for dinner?

Day 2: Hurricane Ridge, Marymere Falls. Spend night at Lake Crescent Lodge

Day 3: Cape Flattery, Seiku, Clallam Bay (and Lake Ozette if time?). Night at Lake Crescent Lodge

Day 4: Hoh Rain Forest and beach (La Push? Ruby?) Suggestions? Night at Kalaloch Lodge

Day 5: Drive to Paradise Lodge, Mt. Rainier - Any place in particular we should stop enroute?

Day 6: Day & Night at Mt. Rainier

Day 7: Drive to Seattle

Day 8: Seattle (Pike's Market etc.) and Chateau Ste. Michelle winery.

Day 9: Visit friends in Camano Island

Day 10: Flight back home

Does this sound do-able? The overnights are set but it's the daytime stuff that I'm looking for recommendations! Specifically, is the day spent in and around Cape Flattery a must or should more time be spent at Hurricane Ridge etc.

Are there any "not to be missed" things that I've omitted?

Any suggestion for restaurants in Seattle for our 2 dinners?

This site is so awesome - you guys always have the best ideas! Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 10:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Restaurants in downtown Seattle. I am a big fan of "Etta's Seafood" at the north end of the Market.

For more touristy atmosphere but with waterfront views Cutter's or Anthony's are also nearby.

For Italian, La Fontana or Assagios are both very nice (Belltown).
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Suze
Do you know anything about Salty's on Alki Beach?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 04:26 PM

Salty's main attractions its Sleepless-in-Seattle view of the Seattle skyline and, for big eaters, the Sunday Brunch. The food is good, but it is not in the class with Etta's or other Tom Douglas restaurants. If you want to eat fish with a water view, The Waterfront is excellent. Anthony's Pier 66 also has a good reputation, as does Ray's Boathouse on Shilshole Bay--a few miles north of downtown.

For steak, Daniel's Broiler on Lake Union and on Lake Washington both have water views.

What are your food preferences?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM

I meant to say, you have one of the most sensible itineraries I've seen posted for Olympic National Park and Mt. Rainier.

If you take the most direct route to Paradise, there is no place of particular interest to stop on the way except for Olympia--our capital. It's a nice little town. Anthnoy's and Budd Bay Cafe are both good places for lunch (and they are near each other on the water following a drive past the capitol and though the downtown shopping district).

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 05:01 PM

Oops. I had another thought. Unless there has been a big change, the dining room at Kalaloch is not all that good and over-priced. Therefore, I suggest you make a dinner reservation at Lake Quinault Lodge.

I have not been to Crescent Lake Lodge or Paradise Inn this year, but in recent years they have both had very good dining rooms. Again, now is the time to make dinner reservations.
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 05:21 PM

What a great itinerary you have! I'm so jealous. Lake Crescent is so beautiful!

You could eat at the Barking Frog at the Willows Lodge, which is right down the road from Chateau St. Michelle since you are going to be in that neck of the woods. We ate there in July and it was very good.

-Bill

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 06:13 PM

Important travel alert. The Hood Canal Bridge is under extensive repair and is being closed periodically for several days at a time. The bridge is currently closed through Thursday August 25. Be sure to check www.wsdot.wa.gov for closure info.

Good itinerary. You should not necessarily blaze through Sequim. Dungeness Spit is a great mini beach hike. There are a few nice shops and decent restaurants like the Herbfarm if it's open. You can't really miss on La Push beaches, they are all wild and wonderful. I particularly like Third and Rialto.

If you have a chance, take a boat out on Lake Crescent, I've always been amazed by how deep you can see into the clear water. They periodically find antique cars that ran off the road 50 or 60 years ago with bodies still inside. You will see why when you drive the road!

Salty's is a poor representative of the Seattle Seafood offerings. They justify the price based on the view. Just drive out to Alki for the view if you want. I agree with the Suze's seafood recommendations above.

Your route to Mt. Rainier is a bit complicated. It may appear from the map that you should stay on highway 12 then backtrack to Elbe via highway 7. That's a long trip and I don't think it's the best route. Instead, continue east via highway 8 into Olympia, take northbound 5 a short distance to highway 510 following signs to Yelm. Continue east on 702 to 7 and south to Elbe. Have a nice trip.

Old Aug 21st, 2005, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ALL for your suggestions! So, I take it then, that it IS worthwhile to spend one day doing the Cape Flattery, Seiku, Clallam Bay area. I wasn't sure after having read some "old" posts about Neah Bay not being worthwhile.

Does anyone know anything about rafting on the Hoh River or the Elwha River? Thought it might be fun to see the area from a different vantage point! Suggestions? Comments?

Also, should we check out Moclips and Ocean Shores or stick w/ the La Push Beach area?
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 09:37 PM

If you have time towards the end of Day 2 or the early part of Day 3, just after you pass the west end of Lake Crescent take the left turn to Sol Duc. I prefer the Sol Duc Falls to Marymere, but that's just me. Both are beautiful.

On Day 4 - of the beaches you mentioned, I loved Ruby Beach and I think? Third Beach, if I remember the number correctly.

You will be seeing the prettiest spots on the peninsula. Moclips has a few pretty views of the ocean but imho you can skip it after what you have already seen. Ocean Shores is a different scene altogether - no rocky cliffs and stone beaches, pretty much flat sand and sand dunes. If you are tired of lots of trees and/or must have McDonald's before you get to Hoquiam, you might stop off there. Otherwise skip it, since you already have a long enough drive between Kalaloch and Mt. Rainier.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:23 AM

Ocean Shores has a long, sandy beach. I wish I could say it is worth the detour, but I can't. Ruby Beach and the others you name are more likely to give you what you want--tide pools and dramatic monoliths.

What I liked most about Neah Bay is the drive there along the Strait of Juan de Fuca. On my visit, the trail to Cape Flattery wasn't easy to find; however, it was worth the hunt for the experience of standing at the most northwest spot in the 48 contiguous states. The remoteness of the area is palpable.

I Googled "rafting hoh river" and found several entries.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:07 AM

For restaurants, try the Crab House in Port Angeles. http://www.pacrabhouse.com

It's thing fancy (coffee shop sort of decor) but if you like crab it's terrific. They have an open face crab sandwich that is basically sweet white crab meat piled high on sour dough bread that was about $6 for lunch when we were there 2 years ago.

We enjoyed the restaurant so much we ate there twice.