Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know, I know! Some people think going to a luau is cheesy and touristy, but it will be our first time in Hawaii--and we will be those cheesy tourists!(laugh) Which luau on Maui is better? Old Lahaina Luau or the Feast at Lele? Or is there an even better one than those two? We are going in April--how far ahead should we make reservations?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:39 AM

Same group operates both. OLL seating priority is assigned based on date you make your reservation. Often, best seats/tables go many, many months in advance (we reserved 6 months early and were 1/2 down the list). See its web site for a representative sample of reviews. Generally regarded as the best.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:33 AM

We went to the Old Lahaina Luau 2 years ago. We thought it was very nice - you can request to sit in the traditional area, where you sit on the ground at the table. This gives you a front row seat. It was a little hard on the legs, but you can get up and move! Plus, if you don't wear a dress, then it's easier. We heard a lot of people say that the Feast at Lele was great too - I believe that they are the only ones that do any "fire dancing", whereas OLL does not.

The food was good at OLL, but it wasn't the best I've ever had. Basically, you're there for the experience! It was on the water and they had several booths set up with crafts that you could buy.

I don't think you could go wrong either way! We're going back to Maui in April and we're going to try the FL this time!

Enjoy your trip! I would book the Luau now!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 10:26 AM

I just attended the Feast of Lele last week in Maui (you can read about it in my Maui trip report 2/28-3/6).

Anyways, I loved the Feast of Lele. I like the very friendly and professional staff. The program was great. I liked the individual seating and being served the food (it is not buffet style). Although, it was a little more pricey then Old Lahaina, I thought it was worth it. The view was unbeatable with the sunset. Also the earlier you reserve, the better your seats are.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:09 PM

OLL was great! We loved it- drinks were yummy, food wasn't great, but we weren't expecting a great meal. The show was wonderful. We booked 6 months in advance and had the first level of tables- great spot! The traditional seating looked a bit uncomfortable after awhile!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:11 PM

We also felt like we should do the cheesy luau thing, but we had no idea just HOW cattle like and tourist trap-ish it would be. We did OLL which every source we consulted said it was the best.
Even if you wont trust me on skipping it, please go see Warren and Annabels magic show. It was fantastic!--and I'm not a magic show person.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 08:32 AM

I agree with Marci77. We like to take another couple when we go to Maui, so we end up going to a Luau each time we're there. We've been to the OLL 3 times and the Feast at Lele once. Hard to say which is better depending on why you're going. The atmosphere is definitely better at OLL although the food is just ok. Personally I liked it better before they moved to their new location, but I guess that doesn't do anygood now . The Feast at Lele was ok, but not quite as good as I expected. The food was good, the service was good and the show was good, but something about it says don't go back. But nothing I can put my finger on. However, do go see Warren and Annabelles. It's not what you would typically think of in Maui, but well worth every penny (and the show alone isn't too bad, but once you get there you'll want at least 1 appetizer and wish later you had gotten the dessert.) Wish I was going back already.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 09:21 PM

The Aston Hotels usually offer 2 for 1 on feast at lele , so if staying at one check. I loved the lele food and show , and check on prices on the internet ( activity warehouse, and others, just do activity search for maui, lele is usually lower priced than (olluau). nick
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 10:38 AM

2004 prices for adult admission: Feast, $99; OLL, $82. Taxes and gratuities are extra. Never heard of either (run by the same folks) discounting those prices, through "Activities Warehouse" or otherwise. Other Maui luaus are discounted.
As you probably know, Feast offers a sit down "intimate" dinner, while OLL has buffet style service. Feast offers Pacific entertainment, OLL, Hawaiian. Both considered first rate. Both book-up well in advance.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone--we decided on the OLL... we're happy we were told to reserve in advance-we're a month out and only had two nights of options!