Search

OKC?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OKC?

I'm going to Oklahoma City for my birthday and will be traveling alone. I decided on OKC because I really want to see the Faberge exhibit at the museum. I'm wondering though what else you would consider to be must sees in town, or surrounding area? Historical sites,scenic, or fun is what I'm looking for. Also, how about unique shopping areas? I will most likely arrive on Sat. 8/1 and leave on Wed. TIA!
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 02:46 AM

The OKC Museum is excellent, so be sure to enjoy the rest of it!

There is also a very good art museum at the University in Norman.

There is an emerging arts district in North/Northwest OKC: galleries, coffee shops, restaurants.

I have not been in many years, but the Cowboy Hall of Fame off I-35 north of the city was excellent. Both art and artifacts relating to cowboy/Western life.

It is likely to be very hot, and you should be prepared for a lot of driving. Oklahoma City is the largest city in the US in terms of acreage, so getting from SW to NW can be a trek.

I think the town of Edmund, NW of OKC, has an interesting historic district, but I haven't been there.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 06:33 AM

Brick town is a neat area to stay near. The cowboy hall of fame was much more interesting than I would have thought. The Paseo arts district has a festival or two each year, which we have attended a couple times by chance. Although we visited with kids, the sam noble natural history museum in norman is nice. There is a botanical type garden in downtown (walkable from Brick town). I did find part of downtown a little creepy on the weekend. It was dead and I was walking around, and some guy started following me. The Paseo arts district is the only place we shopped but they also have a Bass Pro shop in brick town, which if you haven't been to one is pretty amazing (even for non-outdoor types).
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 06:38 AM

There is something called the skydance bridge that I don't recall seeing. Pictures are neat though.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will look into your suggestions.