What to do in Indy during the F1 Weekend?

May 5th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

What to do in Indy during the F1 Weekend?

I am going for the F1 Weekend (June 19&20) to Indy and decided to take an extra day (21) to sightsee around. Can anyone give me ideas of places to go/see? I am not much of a museum person but I like nice/historical places for pictures. Any concerts going on? Thanks in advance.
May 5th, 2004, 05:48 AM
TC

Try a Google search for Indianapolis. Lots of good info.
May 5th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Done that already... Wanted to hear from people who visited Indianapolis or actually live there to provide an inside scoop on how to wisely spend time.
May 5th, 2004, 03:02 PM
tmh

I used to live there and get backinfrequently. Two places that I enjoy are the Eiteljorg Museum and Conner Prairie.

The Eiteljorg is a SW/Native American/Western museum. Fabulous looking bldg and grounds are nice too.

Conner Prairie - a few miles north of the city - is one of those settler's complex that reenacts life back in some past century (and not the last one).

There is a concert venue north of the city as well but can't recall the name.

Downtown was livelier in recent years from when I lived there. Don't know any hotspots - or cold for that matter - just an impression with all the changes they made.

There's an older neighborhood north of downtown -Lockerbie? - that has an interesting look and feel. The typical Victorian homes, etc
May 8th, 2004, 07:24 PM

Here is some info from an Indy native...Conner Prarie might be nice if you enjoy historical visits, but for me it always reminds me of pioneer days in elementary school. The Eitlejorg is a nice museum but since you are in town for the race you might enjoy the museum at the Speedway instead.
The concert venue that was mentioned is Deer Creek, okay, actually Verizon Wireless Music Center--but I have emotional attachment to the old name. That weekend there are a couple of good shows: June 18: Chicago and Earth, Wind, and Fire. Then on the 20th and 21st is Dave Mattews followed by two Phish dates (camping will be provided on site this year again).
The Children's Museum downtown is really great too--with or without kids. If I think of more suggestions I will post them, have fun and see ya at the race!
May 8th, 2004, 08:45 PM

I second the suggestion for the Speedway Museum. It has been more than 25 years since I was there and I was a young child but I still remember it, esp. the old race cars and trophys. The other thing I remember most about the races was the people in and around the track. Talk about an eye opener!! I would suggest people watching as amusement, just don't drive thru the crowds on a motor cycle in a swimsuit!
May 17th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far.
Since I will attend the race I will definitely take some time to visit the museum inside the Motor Speedway complex. Also decided to watch Dave Mattews...
Where should I eat on a Satuday night? Any restaurant close to the race track? Also, for Sunday and Monday nights, any place in downtown?
May 17th, 2004, 08:19 PM
dln

Satrijoe, I live in Indianapolis and there will be enough going on here to keep you busy. Buy the newspaper on Friday as it has the Weekend Calendar section with all the listings of who's playing where, what's on stage, what's being exhibited, etc. Downtown is fine for eating out, either by the Circle Center Mall, or on Massachusetts Avenue, where you will also find lots of funky art galleries in addition to good restaurants. We like Agio and Scholar's Inn especially.

Downtown you can visit the Eiteljorg Museum, the Zoo, the White River Botantial Gardens, the Indiana State Museum, the Basketball Hall of Fame (I think that's it; I'm not a sports fan!), the Historical Society, or take a walk along the canal and rent a paddleboat. All these attractions are within walking distance of each other from downtown.

If you go out a bit further, about 60 blocks to the north (College and 62nd, roughly), you will find Broad Ripple Village. Plenty of clubs, restaurants, one-of-a-kind shops. Broad Ripple stays open 'til the wee hours, lots happenening there.

For historic and quaint, there's the Lockerbie Sqaure neighborhood, which is the closest one in to the center of the city, then there's the Old Northside, Meridian-Kessler, which are only three of the many historic neighborhoods Indianapolis has. If you go to the tourist bureau near the Circle Center Mall downtown, you can find plenty of info about our neighborhoods. Makes for good strolling and photo taking.

I hope you have a great time in our city! I've really only touched the tip of the iceberg of what Indianapolis offers. Have fun exploring!

May 19th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

DLN: Thanks for the info. How difficult/expensive is it to park in the downtown area?
May 19th, 2004, 09:57 AM
al

Indy is a fun town on race weekends. Some of my personal favorites are:

Restaurants:

Yats -- inexpensive, informal cajun creole.
Greek Islands -- good Greek w/ bellydancer. A fun place.
Iron Skillet -- homestyle cooking, great fried chicken.
St. Elmos -- an expensive steakhouse downtown. Known for their "world famous" shrimp cocktail: shrimp swimming in horseradish.

Nightlife:

Slippery Noodle -- a blues club downtown. Also has food - burgers, etc.

Definitely visit the IMS Museum -- lots of cool racecar-related stuff, past and present. Well worth it.

For concert info, there (and everywhere), visit www.pollstar.com, do a search by city, plug in the city, your dates and it'll tell you what's there. This works for all cities, by the way.

Have fun, make sure you get to the track early (lots of traffic) and be prepared for Ferrari domination!

May 19th, 2004, 10:04 AM
al

One more thing: Yats, Greek Islands and St. Elmo have websites for menus, directions, prices, etc. Don't think Iron Skillet has one but you can find out once you get there.

Also, if you're into such things, the corn dogs and turkey legs at the track are outstanding. Don't forget your cooler ("not to exceed 14 in length"), packed with your favorite beverages!
May 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM
dln

Al, that's a great idea mentioning Yats. A big plate of Creole food for $5.00 (yes that's right, and it's homemade). I'm more familiar with the one within walking distance of my house, at 54th and College, but I think there's another one downtown. Look it up, satrijoe, if you like Creole. Also on that same corner is a jazz club/restaurant called the Jazz Kitchen. Very good music and very good food. The bands change daily.

As for parking downtown, you can drive around aimlesslessly trying to find a spot, so I usually go into the parking at the Circle Center Mall. You can't miss the mall; it has a very distinctive half-round walkway part to the building. It's a block south of the center of the city (which not surprisingly is a circle). The parking is cheap, about $1/hour and it's open at least to midnight if not later.

Search this Thread