Search

Ohio Vacation Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohio Vacation Ideas

I have always wanted to goto Ohio. But, I am wondering whats there to do there. I am looking for a good vacation destination to spend a week within an 8 hour drive of Washington DC. I am very much into the outdoors and hiking and just scenic outdoors. The Hocking Hills sounds like a possible place. But, is there enough there for a week? If not, I was think i could split a week up between two places. Cuyahoya Valley NP looks like another possibility. But, is there enough to do there and is it worth traveling to?

Thanks-
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM

I live in Ohio and there is definitely enough to do here. The Hocking Hills area is beautiful and the hiking is excellent. I think you could definitely spend a week there but I would suggest spliting up your time for some other travels. Amish Country is also a very nice little area. Is it more north east in Ohio. Good luck and have fun!!!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
maj

If you are going there to hike and relax you can spend some time in Hocking Hills -- soaking in the hot tub which is included with almost every cabin,etc. (and I definitely would stay in a cabin somewhere in the park), but if you are mainly interested in hiking, 2-3 nights is sufficient IMO. They are hills not mountains. (I have a friend who was very disappointed in this fact after hearing so much about the area) You are mainly walking to interesting rock formations, etc. not to fantastic panoramic views. We love to go there.

When are you planning on going? Spring when the waterfalls are flowing or fall with the autumn colors (and also the most crowded time) are the best times to go. It is also a very pet friendly area (we usually take our dog). They are allowed in all but one area and most cabins have pet friendly cabins. I seem to remember you asking about pets a few years ago (sorry if I'm wrong). I would also suggest splitting your time.
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 02:06 PM

This website may help you.

http://consumer.discoverohio.com

"The Wilds" seems to be a very interesting place I have always wanted to go to.

www.thewilds.org
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM

I highly recommend a stop at 'The Wilds'. We have been there four times over the years.... The last time two years ago they were building some new additions, they should be completed by now... If things haven't changed take the open air safari. It cost a little more but your guide stays with their group and it moves at a slow but smooth pace.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM

Search Hocking Hills there is a fairly in depth/recent post on here so I won't duplicate. If you have specifics, I'd be happy to help. Amish Country centers around Millersburg & Holmes County in general. www.amishofholmescountyohio.com, www.visitamishcountry.com, www.hockinghills.com, www.lakehopestatepark.com
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:54 AM

I add my vote to the two to three days in Hocking Hills. As you were considering Cuyahoga NP, you might also think about a day at Cedar Point if you are an amusement park person. Beautiful Lake Erie setting. If you like state of the art roller coasters, no place is better.

The Air Force Museum of Flight in Fairborn is not on the straight line route from Hocking County to Lake Erie, but a great one day visit.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:46 PM

The AF Museum outside of Dayton, Ohio is excellent and has the same movies showing in Washington DC , but with NO LINES!!!!

Fabulous place to spend a half day.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:47 PM

King's Island Amusement park, although not as spectacular as Cedar Point, would be a lot closer to the places mentioned so far if that is something the family wanted to do.