Reload this Page >

Oh, please tell me Denver's downtown Holiday Inn is not the dive I think it is

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Tess

Just found out tonight that my daughter's dance teacher has booked us into the downtown Holiday Inn for an April dance competition. All the reviews I'm reading on line make it sound like it's one step above a flophouse. Anyone know anything about this place? We've stayed at several downtown Denver hotels before but never this one. Ordinarily I wouldn't care if it's not the greatest (okay, in the interests of total disclosure, I'm a hotel snob and I do care) but it's our daughter's 13th birthday that weekend and we plan on celebrating in Denver. At least we're close to the restaurants, etc. on the 16th Street Mall...anyone have any experience with this hotel?

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't place it but don't restrict yourself to the 16th Street Mall.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:59 AM
Tess

Gretchen, good point. We don't have any dance 'stuff' on Friday night so we're not restricted to downtown. Any suggestions for a good place to take several 13 year old girls to dinner? We love Vesta Dipping Grill--that might be fun. My daughter loves Italian so Buca di Beppo is a maybe. Any good restaurants in Cherry Creek that they would like? We'll probably shop in that mall Friday afternoon. Anything that gets us out of the hotel for awhile

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:20 AM

Check out the casual and fun Casa Bonita, a bunch of girls would have a great time there.

The hotel is a typical Holiday Inn - most of their hotels are older,large rooms renovated several times over, adequate. When traveling with a group..you have to try to find a place that everyone can afford. I'll admit that some Holiday Inns are nightmares, but this one is not. Not the Ritz either, but not a "flophouse". I think I remember the parking was expensive but you've experienced that in downtown Denver before, probably.

www.casabonitadenver.com
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM

If you are not from a mountain area, the girls might enjoy a trip to the mountains for dinner. I have not been back for several years so maybe someone with more recent experience could update this. I used to enjoy the Little Bear in Evergreen and the El Rancho in the foothills off I-70 at the Evergreen exit.

Both are less than an hour's drive (assuming no bad traffic problems) from downtown Denver.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM

I can't comment on the hotel, but I would NOT recommend Casa Bonita for a group of 13 year old girls. The food is overpriced and unappetizing. The entertainment isn't worth the price of buying a meal. Be sure to make a stop at the Tattered Cover bookstore across from the Cherry Creek Mall. Check out denver.org. There is currently a list of restaurants participating in Denver Restaurant Week. This might give you a few dining ideas.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:10 PM
Tess

Thanks for the suggestions so far--please keep them coming. Our family ate at Casa Bonita years ago--fun place but the food...not so great. I'm thinking someplace a little more upscale--but not stuffy.

Tracy--glad to hear your take on the HI. I can take plain, just not dirty or threadbare. Stayed at a Super 8 years ago where the sheets had hair in them--the management seemed surprised when I complained I was THIS close to sleeping in the car!

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:33 AM
MaureenB

The Kona Grill, a new upscale restaurant on the north side of Cherry Creek mall, is offering a fantastic half-price appetizer special, evenings from 4-7p.m. (depending on the day of week). It's also offered as a "reverse happy hour" around 9- 11 p.m. some nights. Not sure if they'll be doing it still in April-- it's such a great deal, we'll see how long it lasts.
My son and I ate there yesterday afternoon. They have a very nice, covered and overhead heated stone patio (also has an outdoor fireplace).
The half-price menu includes select appetizers, pizzas, and sushi. It makes a great meal for one person. They are full-sized appetizer servings. The pizza my son ordered came to less than $4 and was a fairly large personal pizza. I ordered the Maui Tacos, which was even served with a side of shrimp and pork rice. It, too, was less than $4. Our sodas were just $2.
Can't beat that deal if you're feeding several teenagers. Check it out.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 08:56 AM

Tess,

Just a warning about the previous recommendation for the Little Bear in Evergreen: It is definitely NOT a place for a bunch of thirteen year-old girls. It's a biker/mountain bar with live music.

AL (d))
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM
Tess

Thanks everyone. Maureen, the Kona Grill sounds like something my daughter and her friends would love. North side of the mall...did it move into another restaurant's space? I remember Macaroni Grill is over that direction but can't think what else. As for Little Bear--maybe on a Mom and Dad trip!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:22 AM
MaureenB

Yes, Kona Grill took over the space that was Roy's, and before that something else. It is attached to the mall, across from California Pizza Kitchen (also a good choice). Kona Grill faces the Tattered Cover across the street, so you could do a mall sweep, eat, and then browse at Tattered. I think the kids would have plenty of choices at Kona, and if you get there right at 4:00, maybe they will let you still use the lunch menu in case someone wants to order off of it. (At 4:00 they changeover to the dinner menu, so probably more expensive choices.)
Macaroni Grill is still in its same spot, down the street a bit and across from Lord and Taylor's. It's not attached to the mall. "Elway's" just opened further down, but it is probably too pricey for a teen party. My son and his friends (16 year olds) love to eat at Noodles and Company, but it's a few blocks from the mall.
I wouldn't worry about the Holiday Inn. It always looks decent from the outside, more of a business person's no-frills place, I think.
Downtown is the Cheesecake Factory, the ESPN Zone, and Wynkoop Brewery for decent meals for kids. Great pizza at The Wazee-- a fun older and authentic place in lower downtown at 15th and Wazee.
Have fun and ask any other questions. I've got two teens, so know where they like to go.
(Also agree that Casa Bonita is yechy, and Little Bear too rough for teens.)

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:33 AM
Tess

Maureen,
Thanks! My 16 year old son (and his dad ) would live at ESPN Zone if they could-ha! They were in Denver for NCAA playoffs last spring and spent ONE WHOLE DAY there. I guess they snagged the recliners right when it opened and just kept ordering food and drinks all day long to keep their spot. Sounds horrible to me but they were in seventh heaven. Good thing teenage boys are bottomless pits...

Now, spending an entire day at Tattered Cover...I could do that!!!

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Tess

We just got back from our weekend in Denver and the downtown Holiday Inn so thought I should give my take on the hotel.

Honestly, it was great! The location was perfect--a short block away from the 16th Street Mall (right at the Denver Pavilion) and two blocks from the convention center. We didn't take out the car all weekend. Oh, the hotel does charge a hefty $16 per night for parking--ouch.

About the hotel itself--rooms are average size. There was ample room for two beds, two chairs and a small round table. Rooms have obviously been updated recently and to my critical eye looked to be spotless. Towels and washcloths were thick, large and new. The bathroom vanity was fairly small but the lighting was great, which counts big with me.

There is wireless Internet in each room--nice~

I can't believe I'm saying this but I would have no problem staying here again--no complaints.

As for meals, we celebrated my daughter's birthday at Buca di Beppo in downtown Denver. It's different from other B. di B.'s that we've eaten at since it is located in a very old building and looks like an authentic Italian family restaurant (if that makes sense). We had to wait an extra 10 minutes or so for our reservation and they comped our party 3 free appetizers, even though we told them we weren't in any hurry and we didn't mind waiting.

Saturday noon another dance mom and I sneaked out of the dance competition long enough to have a little libation and some mussels at McCormick's. Love love love that place. Saturday night we ate at Croc's in LoDo so the guys could watch the Final Four. For bar food, the nachos were surprisingly good.

All in all, a great weekend--thanks again for everyone's input.

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:47 PM

Thanks' for the up-to-date report on that hotel.