Off the beaten path in Fort Lauderdale

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off the beaten path in Fort Lauderdale

Looking for suggestions for different or little known attractions in this area for our upcoming vacation in December. We'll have a rental car and don't mind driving at all. We like nature, hiking, the ocean, boating, fishing, history and good restaurants! We dislike shopping malls..
In the past we have been to the Keys and to the Micosukee (?spelling) reservation.
Thanks in advance.....
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Can't right now think of things in Ft. Lauderdale but I always suggest Vizcaya in Coral Gables (near Miami). It's a magnificent Italian Palazzo that sits on Biscayne Bay. Gorgeous home and gardens to visit and an easy drive from Ft. Lauderdale.

Lesser known (I think) is the Morikami Japanese Gardens in Delray.

http://www.morikami.org/

While visiting Vizcaya you might also want to make a stop in South Beach and have a look at the deco area.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:30 AM
GoTravel

The Historical Museum of Southern Florida has some terrific inexpensive tours on and off the water led by the knowledgable Dr. George. I highly recommend the tour of Biscayne Bay and Stiltsville (a community built on the water from the 1920s through 1960s about a mile offshore in the middle of Biscayne Bay).

http://www.historical-museum.org/edu...ours/tours.htm

www.stiltsville.org

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM

I second Morikami.

Also, there is the Bonnet House on Ft. Lauderdale beach just off Sunrise Blvd. and A1A. It's an old house and there are monkeys on the property. I enjoyed it when I went.

Also, there is a King Tut exhibit that is coming to the Ft. Laud. museum of art that starts in December. Though I think it might not be possible to get tickets if you're not a member.

Also, we took a drive in the Big Cypress Reserve one day; we just happened to stumble upon it after we went to Everglades city for a seafood fest. We just drove off the highway a couple of times and we saw lots of wildlife, like lots of alligators and birds.